Saturday, February 2, 2013

Back to running

Most of you know that once I was in remission and my doctor gave the ok - I started running.  Thanks to TNT in 3 years I ran 5 full marathons and about 15 half marathons.  I ran very slow, but got the same medal the first place finishers did!  I have only run one half marathon since moving to Mumbai and I didn't train for it at all, it is very hard to run here.  There are no trails, you can't run on grass on teh side of the road - there is no grass!  There isn't even asphalt.  My running surface choices are bricks, tile, and cement.  Makes my back and knees hurt :(

This has been a very stressful teaching year so I felt I needed to get back to running.  I don't know how far I'll get to take it - depends on how my back and knees go.  I haven't done any cardio but walk since August.  9 days ago I tried to jog and lasted 10 minutes.  I jogged twice this week for 35 minutes each.  Today I decided to try for 45 min.  I lasted an hour!!!!  not bad for 9 days!  Now I'm a slow runner to begin with, but even slower in Mumbai - I had to swivel my head every nano second to avoid obstacles and had to frogger waddle across intersections.  So in 60 min I made it 4.4 miles - please don't do the math!!  it is really slow!  but I am going to try that same route for the next few weeks and see if I can improve my time :)  People always say "I could never run that long"  blah blah blah.  If you can jog 5 minutes you can eventually jog 5 hours.  You just keep going.  That's it.  The refusal to quit has gotten me a lot of medals and I have finished every race I've ever started.
 - I finished a half in Chicago even though I was vomiting so much they had to call a medical team.
- I finished races with blisters the size of huge jelly beans.
- I have ran races in sweltering heat and freezing temperatures - had the beginnings of frostbite once.
- I have ran three half marathons with bronchitis.  luckily I don't run fast enough to strain my lungs too
   much. :)
- I have run up gigantic hills cussing the whole way.
- I have finished countless races crying.
 - I have been miserable for entire races and only finished because I chanted "I will not quit" about
   10,000 times in my head.
I have also enjoyed many runs and finished with a great sense of accomplishment.

I hope to feel that again.

Now if only I could put that steely willpower into my food choices  :)  I'd be a skinny mini instead of a chunky monkey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment