Saturday, May 10, 2014

Masters Degree in Educational Technology

I never really had the desire to get my Masters degree.  It wasn't required to keep my teaching license in Texas.  It was really expensive and I didn't want to spend my time or money on it.  Most teachers that I know that got their masters degree did it to get out of the classroom.  They would get their degree in counseling or administration to move on to other jobs.

When I moved overseas, I realized almost every teach had their Masters degree and were still in the classroom.

I had very little technology ability.  VERY little.  A few weeks before I moved to Mumbai, I attended a technology conference in Memphis with the other new teachers.  I was so stressed out and confused - I thought for sure they were going to fire me before I ever got to India!! Thank goodness Megan was sitting next to me and literally said "push this button" etc. so I could keep up.  When I got to India, I saw all these great teachers doing amazing things with technology and I couldn't keep up.  About 6 weeks into school, we had a faculty meeting about technology and I had a meltdown.  I started crying in the middle of the meeting.  My principal pulled me out and said there were three major things 1) adjusting to India and she couldn't help me with that.  2) loving on middle school kids and I was great at that and 3) technology.  She said we could take technology off the table and use paper for awhile.

I knew I had to get more comfortable with using technology in my classroom so I decided to go to grad school.  The assistant principal had just gotten her degree and recommended the program at Michigan State University.  You can do it in MI, as an overseas cohort, or online.  I chose to do the cohort so I could learn hands on with other people around.  I went to Dublin, Ireland for 4 weeks in the summer and completed 9 credit hours!  I did the same thing the next summer in Galway, Ireland.  It was great to concentrate on only grad school and not have to do it during the school year.  You have to take one online class to make your 30 hours so I did that my second year.  I did not want to give up a third summer so I decided to complete the third year (three classes) online.  And I graduated this May - two years and I'm done!  I have a Masters degree from Michigan State University and have never stepped foot on the campus!!  I do know the fight song though :)

I was able to pay for it in cash and got to meet a lot of other teachers from all over the world.  I now have a passion for using technology in the classroom and actually created online classes for my 6th graders this year.

One more way that moving to India changed my life!!

1 comment:

  1. The journey to it was an education in itself! :) and what a way!!! YEA! Way to go Bobbi Jo!

    ReplyDelete