Monday, September 29, 2014

Fall break cruise day 1

Fall break cruise day 1
 I had been up for 48 hours and it felt good to sleep.  I always get inside cabin rooms on cruises – they are cheaper, but also they are pitch black which means I can get some great sleep.  

We had the morning free since we weren’t docking into Dubrovnik until 2pm.  The cafeteria is always crowded and hard to find a seat.  I always ask if I can sit next to someone – sometimes we eat in silence, sometimes we have a great chat.  I sat next to a couple and they didn’t say much.  They got up to leave while I finished my breakfast.  Another couple asked if they could sit with me and they were delightful!  Joe and Emily from Montreal.  We chatted about a lot of things and it was nice to have company.  I walked around the ship 8 times which is 3 miles.  The weather is so nice!  This is my fourth cruise – 2 in Alaska and one in the Mediterranean Sea at Christmas so this is my first cruise that isn’t cold!  It is nice to be on the deck whenever I want without having to bundle up.  After my walk, I went to my room to read then had lunch.  Then I walked on the deck some more to see Dubrovnik as we pulled in to port.  The coast is beautiful and the Adriatic Sea is so blue!  Much different than the Arabian Sea which is what I live on. 

My excursion was to drive to a tourist town, Cavtat, and walk around there, travel along a river to have a snack, then have a tour of the old city in Dubrovnik. Our guide, Marina, told us a lot about the 1991 war and the history of former Yugoslavia.  Croatia became independent after that.  I have always heard how beautiful it was and that is true.  66% of their income is tourism.  The people are poor because they can only work for 6 months (the tourist season).  90% of the people in Dubrovnik are Catholic and 82% of the country is Catholic. Everywhere I travel, I get a magnet and a Christmas ornament (and usually ornaments for my nieces), but I didn’t manage to find one which strange in such a Catholic country.  Maybe I will have better luck in Split, or when I come back to Dubrovnik in March.
 
cavtat

Cavtat

The countryside was gorgeous and we drove up high so we could get a good view of Dubrovnik.  We drove to Cavtat, which is a suburb of Dubrovnik, and many townspeople go there on weekends (I was there on Sunday) Dubrovnik only has 45,000 people in it, but I guess they still like to get away to smaller towns.

 It was very warm – probably in the 80s even though it was Sept 28th.  We stopped at this restaurant on the river – where it was much cooler -  they served homemade cheese and prosciutto on bread – delicious.  They also served wine  - I didn’t have any but the guide had warned how strong it was and the people around me kind of choked on it J


We drove into the old city of Dubrovnik and looked around.  We got there kind of late and things were closing, but I know I will be there again for a math conference in March. The Old city is a small area, but very interesting.  I look forward to exploring it more. 







Day two at sea
I like having “at sea” days between busy port excursions.  I slept until I woke up – no alarm!, ate breakfast, then walked 3 miles around the deck.  The weather is gorgeous, not chilly at all, but not too warm either.  I passed a lot of older couples walking and groups playing shuffleboard.  The other cruises I have got on have been in the summer or at Christmas and there were lots of families.  This one seems to mostly be older couples, which is great because they are usually chatty and have been to lots of places.

I took a nap then went to the big dining room to eat lunch.  I asked them to sit me with someone (which they didn’t yesterday, but today I hit the jackpot!) They led me to a table with a couple that had also asked to sit with someone else.  The man was older and had a big white beard like Santa Clause.  The woman introduced herself as Betty Ann and the guy said “my given name is Lesley, but you can call me Santa” I am not kidding!!  We had a lovely lunch and unlike the couple I met yesterday who were on their first cruise, this couple was on their 24th cruise.  They told me all about how this ship compares to other ships etc.  They are retired and can go on last minute cruises and recently went for a week in Alaska for under $100 each!!!  They are my travel heroes.   I had noticed the “Santa” had a red shirt on, but it wasn’t until we got up to leave that I saw he had green pants on and whole Santa type get up.  Awesome.  I do love Christmas!


I spent the rest of the afternoon and evening reading and walking around the deck.  Heaven. 

No comments:

Post a Comment