Friday, July 31, 2015

Barcelona - La Sagrada Familia

After the cruise, I spent a few days in Barcelona.  Actually, I spend two days touring outside of Barcelona in the Spanish Countryside.  I was supposed to spend a third day touring Monserrat Monastery, Montjuic and going on a cog wheel train (I have a thing for trains!) There was a forest fire near Monserrat that was affecting the views.  I had heard from others that the cog wheel train was not running either.  I was tired from 6 weeks of traveling so I took the day off and just walked around the city. I will have to do Montjuic and Monserrat another time. 

I have toured many churches and temples that took hundreds of years to complete and I always wonder what it would be around the building mid build.  I got my chance!  La Sagrada Familia is one of those buildings. 

I did get to spend the afternoon at La Sagrada Familia.  The church was started in 1882 and Gaudi started on it in 1883.  He died in 1926 with less than a quarter of the church finished. Construction was paused during the Spanish Civil war, but construction is now continuing and is expected to be finished in 2026.  

The outside of the church is amazing. 






Gaudi has put amazing details into the church.  The east windows all have green/blue color schemes representing the beginning of the day.  The west facing windows are yellow/orange/red signifying the end of the day/setting sun.                  
      
East facing windows - blues and greens

West facing windows - red, orange, yellow


There will be 12 bell towers representing the 12 apostles.  There are 4 spires representing the Evangelists and 1 spire, the biggest one, representing Jesus. 
This is Mark's spire from the inside.
This is Mathew's spire from the inside.
So much detail in the art. 



Jesus, Mary, Joseph

The wisemen


He was into nature - turtles are holding up the pillars of the church. 

this door was amazing



The kiss of Judas

Notice the rooster - Peter denying Jesus

Veronica with Jesus's face 




No comments:

Post a Comment