Sunday, April 21, 2013

Sidelined by illness

What a weird week!

I felt tired and dizzy on Thursday last week so I took a little nap on my classroom floor during my non teaching block. I was tired Friday, but made it through the day - I think the energy created by meeting new teachers kept me going.  Saturday morning, I felt really tired but thought if I kept my gym appointment with my trainer.  I told him to take it easy on me because I didn't feel well.  When I stopped my bicep curls at 10, he looked at me shocked and said "too heavy?"  it was a third of what I usually lift.  We decided I should go home.  I made it home and took my first of FIVE naps that day.  I couldn't stay awake longer than 2-3 hours.  Sunday was far worse.  Couldn't stay awake more than an hour.  Speaking exhausted me and made me gasp for air.  I was concerned - I hadn't felt that badly since I was bedridden and drugged up when I was sick with Lupus.  I texted the doctor (such a convenient thing we can do in India!!) and made an appointment for him to come to my apartment the next day.  I nodded off 6 times in the 15 minutes he was in my apartment.  He was alarmed at my lethargy.  He said I had to get someone to stay with me or go to the hospital.  Spending the night in an Indian hospital did not sound like fun!! He called a chemist to bring electrolite packs and a med tech to come and take my blood since there is no way I could leave my house.  The guy came and took a urine sample and a bunch of vials of blood.  He did a pretty good job - left only a small bruise.  I often get huge ones because my veins are so hard to get due to my health problems.  They generally stick the needly in then wiggle it around in there trying to stab a vein.  It is not for the weak!!  I have to look away.  Within two hours they texted me a code to get the results online and I gave access to my doctor. It looked pretty good.  some blood counts were low normal so he thought that fit with his idea that it was a viral infection.  It was so weird - I had no fever - no outward signs of illness except that I couldn't move or stay awake.  The electrolites worked and I started staying up 2-3 hours again.

I have a good support system here.  I called the secretary to tell her that I'd be out Tuesday and Wednesday too.  She contacted the school nurse and she called to check on me and gave me the phone number of the school doctor in case I had to go the hospital.  My principal called and arranged for Evelyn to spend the night.  I was having horrible chest pain so I had to get Mr. Ducky out - He went with me to the doctor's office lots of times when I was sick.  Squeezing him makes my chest feel better.

 
Evelyn sang for me - she was singing for a teacher band at our school - Blues No Bar.  My teaching partner, Jordan is the drummer for the band.  They have been working for months covering a Jimmy Hendrix album and they were performing at a club - The Blue Frog - in Mumbai.  I was going to go even though it was at 10:30 on a Tuesday, but because I was sick I couldn't.  On Wednesday my friend Gretchen came over with Mexican food and my principal Fiona brought chocolate chip cookies.

My Visa was running out so I had an appointment with the Foreign Registration office.  Always a crazy experience in Indian chaos.  I thought if I made it through that ok, I could teach on Friday.  I went to school for a meeting at 7:45 and planned on getting my class started 8:30 to 9:0 and then leave for FRRO.  10 minutes into the meeting I knew I couldn't go to school Friday!!!  I was so tired and dizzy.  My kids were happy to see me, if only for a short time - my advisory made me get well cards.

By the time we got back from FRRO, I felt awful!!  My principal had her driver take me home so I could sit in an actual car, not a rickshaw.  I came home and slept off and on for another three days.

I am going back on Monday and I am excited!!!!  I love my job and I miss my kids!!!  They have been emailing me and telling me how much they miss me!!  So glad I get to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment