Saturday, July 20, 2013

Maybe I should actually train

When people find out I run races, they always say things like "I don't like to run" "I don't have time to train"  "I could never do it"  Well, I don't train either and it is a problem.  Don't try this at home!!  I was running pretty solid for a month or so in Jan/Feb then nada... This is why I don't run whole marathons - I'd actually have to train for that!!  I can bust out a half marathon with no training, but imagine what I could do if I trained!

About 6 min after the start gun, I was in the last 10 people of the race.  One of the men near me lamented how we were already last and I took that as my cue to be cheerleader for the pack of the back.  The man's brother took off and the other brother said he " was out of shape and drank a lot"  :)  I saw him a few times during the race.  I asked a woman who was a bit chubbier than me and asked if it was her first - she was struggling by mile two.  she said her husband was a massive marathoner and she was "tired of waiting for him at finish lines while he gets the glory of the finish"  She is my new hero!  I chatted with a really big man that you would pass on the street and think he was fat and lazy.  He was speed walking the marathon - his TWENTIETH this year!!!  He also does 50mi bicycle races etc.   Met a man from Houston (He was at the front of the pack - I met him before the race started)  and I ran with a woman for about 6 miles - she was from Ohio and was traveling Ireland with her husband for their 35th anniversary.

It was super hot and hilly.  I finished, took a shower and nap and went back out and people were finishing at the 8 hour mark.   Go them!!!

Today marked my 16th half marathon.
San Diego, Dallas, San Antonio (twice), Chicago, NYC, Williamsburg, Disney (twice), Texas hill country, Collage Station, Bunny run, Clear lake, Mumbai, Waterford Ireland, Killarney Ireland.

5 full marathons - Phoenix, Alaska, NYC, Chicago, Disney.

I will keep running races as long as I can, but maybe I should train :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment