Saturday, July 20, 2013

Summer Camp for Teachers

I am currently earning my Masters of Arts in Educational Technology (MAET) from Michigan State University.  Last year I went to school for a month in Dublin and this year I was in Galway.  If you do the whole program in the summer cohort, you complete 9 credits each summer and you do one online class.  There are about 50 students in the summer cohort.  We are a mix of international teachers and US teachers (mostly Michigan).  We go to class M-th 8:30 - 3:30 and Fri 9- 12.  We have a ton of work to do after class and on the weekends, but we do get some time to explore our host country.  Jean Pierre is the student life person and handles any non-academic questions we have and plans field trips and weekend outings.

The first weekend I went to Waterford by myself to run a half marathon.
Two of my roomies Janine and Blair


For the 4th of July, the whole program went on a field trip to Kylemore Abbey and other places in the Connemara area.


I had planned to go on a trip the second weekend, but had two much work to do.  On the third weekend I went to the Aran Islands with a group of MAETers.



They program is awesome.  I knew I wouldn't be able to learn technology through online classes so this program fit me perfectly.  We live in dorms and pretty much work, study, eat, and sleep together for 4 weeks.  This year I had three roommates - Janine (1st grade in Jakarta), Jessie (3rd grade in Jakarta), and Blair (art in Michigan).  Janine, Blair and I lived together last year with two other women.  It's nice to have people to have dinner with, go walking with, and work on projects together.  Our class was great this year.  We had 2 fantastic instructors and we had 7 new people in year two that were not with us last year.  It is great to have deep discussion about teaching and learning - teachers don't get to do that nearly enough.  This year we had 2 weeks to put together a technology conference for teachers.  This is us celebrating after we finished.




No comments:

Post a Comment