Tuesday, April 22, 2014

My kids drank the Kool-aid

So my 6th graders really disappointed me by not doing what they were supposed to on their projects and making it really hard for me to grade them.  They also had to give feedback to others and because they didn't follow directions, it made it difficult on their peers.  The results?  Peers were irritated and students were unhappy with their grades.

Me:  Is my job JUST to teach you math?
Students: no Miss Staley
Me:  What else is my job?
boy: teach us to be good people.
girl: teach ATL skills (approaches to learning)
girl: teach us to be nice people
boy:  teach us to be productive citizens
boy: teach us to follow the Core Values
girl:  teach us how to make good decisions and how to deal with the consequences if we don't make
        good decisions.
girl: help us learn how to make fewer mistakes now, so we don't make huge mistakes as adults
boy: teach us to work well with others
boy: teach us to be cooperative and helpful
girl: teach us to be responsible for our own learning


Well, I guess I've done my job well!!!  We have had so many discussions about these things that I didn't even have to get on them about their poor decisions today.  They knew their decisions did not represent the Core Values or any other things we work on so they willingly accepted the consequences and didn't complain about them.

They know tomorrow is a new day for us to work on all these skills and do better next time :)

Love these kiddos!





No comments:

Post a Comment