Saturday, April 26, 2014

Training for Inca Trail

I have always had a desire to see lots of places in the world and Machu Picchu has been on the list for awhile.

A few years ago I went on a running cruise in Alaska organized by famous running coaches.  About 100 of us on a cruise ran a marathon over a week.  At each port, we got out and met a local running group and ran 3, 6, 7, or 10 miles and it added up to 26 miles at the end and we got a medal.  :)  I went by myself, but made running friends that I still keep in touch with on facebook. They have other trips like that - a Caribbean one in February that I can never go to due to school schedules and one in Italy in the fall.  I was looking up the Italy one to see if it matched our break when I stumbled upon the Inca Trail one.    The deadline to get permits was 4 days away so I made a fast decision.  I am graduating with my Masters Degree in a few weeks and my 40th birthday is in July so this is my present to myself.
I am going by myself again, but hoping to meet some other runners/active people (We are not running the trail - just hiking it).  and I get a medal for it, because we are doing 26 miles :)

It is a trip I have really had to prepare for though.  I haven't gone camping on the ground since I worked for the Girl Scouts!!   and I have never gone on a multi day hike.  They recommended Hiking shoes as opposed to boots because they are lighter, but we are going to be on really rocky terrain and I have to be really careful with my joints due to Lupus so I went with the boots.  I have gone on 3 walks for more than 2 hours at a time and my feet hurt less than in my normal shoes!!!  I LOVE the boots.  Hopefully they will treat me well on my four day hike.  I got them at REI and got fitted for a backpack and got an osprey bladder for it and used it for the first time today.  I love it too and the two liters wasn't too much for my back.  I walk around Mumbai with my shorts, boots, and backpack on - it's hilarious.  I'm sure some kids will comments.  I never see them because they are in cars but apparently they see me walking all the time!

We get a 5 day weekend next weekend and I am going to Hong Kong to go hiking!  I have never been, but apparently there is a beautiful trail that goes through wooded areas in the city with great views of hills and water!  I am excited to try my gear out for multiply hours a day for multiple days :)  and a secondary bonus is I get to see my teaching partner that I worked with for my first two years here in India.  Super fun to know people in other countries :)




No comments:

Post a Comment