Thursday, October 2, 2014

day 4 Kusadasi and Ephesus

We arrived in Kusadasi, Turkey early in the morning.  I chose to go on an excursion to Ephesus.  My tour guide today was a thousand times better than my guide in Athens was yesterday.  He was very knowledgeable and loved talking about Turkey.  He had started being a tour guide in college to pay for expenses, but loved it so much, he stuck with it even after getting two degrees.  He asked people where they were from – a lot from Australia, UK, and Canada.  Apparently people were reluctant to say they were from the US and he said “My country is 95% Muslims, but we are bad Muslims because we like to drink”  He went on  about how they weren’t the kind of Muslims that you see on the news and they aren’t a threat to US citizens.  I thought it was kind of weird – I’ve been to Turkey 4 times and love it – I don’t feel the need to hide the fact I am American like I might in some other countries.  Apparently Turkey makes other people nervous and it was nice that he was trying to endear his country to other people.  He was really funny and gave us a lot of insight into Turkish history and culture. 

He said there are 4 Ephesus’s and we saw all of them.   Only 10% of the area has been excavated.  Everyone sees the same things, but he went out of order on the tour to try to spare us some of the crowds.  After the day I had yesterday, I’m glad he did.  We went to St. John’s Basilica first – He was originally entombed there, but later moved to the Vatican. When Jesus was crucified he told John to take care of Mary like his own mother so he took her to Ephesus and they lived there for a long time.  They lived there until she died (or assumed to heaven – Catholics don’t believe she died.)


baptistry

We went to Mary’s house which was basically a small chapel.  It is a major pilgrimage spot for Catholics and three popes have been there to confirm it is indeed Mary’s house.  History fascinates me.  They said that for centuries people celebrated a holy person every year – they had forgotten who, but knew they were worth celebrating.  It was on the feast day of Mary’s assumption which was a clue that this was indeed her house.

We went on to visit the city part of Ephesus which was typical Roman ruins – evidence of shops, baths, houses.  We saw the grand theater where Paul preached to thousands.  It is amazing how centuries collide – Sting held a concert there in 1991 in the same theater that Paul spoke!  The vibrations from the loud speaker causes some of the ruins to fall. No one was hurt thank goodness, but they stopped having loud rock concerts there.  They still have other concerts there, but no loud speakers J


Theater where Paul spoke to the Ephesians


They took us to eat a traditional Turkish meal.  It was this brand new tourist attraction with shops, cultural shows, and a huge buffet dining area to accommodate bus loads of tourists.  There was tons of meat!  Pork, lamb, chicken, veal, and turkey – yum!  And of course baklava which I love.

On our way back to the ship we stopped at a rug shop for then to give a demonstration.  This was a my fourth time in turkey and my fourth time at a rug store. I have always wanted one, but of course I don’t have thousands of dollars for a rug or room for a huge one.  They have wool/cotton ones and silk ones.  Small silk ones cost as much as big wool ones.  Turkish rugs are double knotted and are practically impossible to destroy unless you cut it.  They last for generations and actually gain value the more they are walked on  - walking tightens the knots and makes them stronger. The older they are, the more they are worth.  They showed a woman weaving a rug and talked about how long it would take to make one.  The skill is passed down from mothers, you can’t go to a university or somewhere to learn how to do it.  I finally decided to pull the trigger and buy a rug – a SMALL, WOOL one J  I forgot to take a picture of it before they wrapped it up for me to take home – I will post a picture later. 


I decided to go to the main dining area for dinner and was hoping to sit with others, but hey didn’t sit me with anyone so I ate dinner alone.  I was in line waiting for dinner to open and there were several pairs of old ladies – I should have asked them if I could sit with them, I guess I just assumed the server would sit us together.  This one lady seemed like a hoot. She was talking to a stranger telling her how her husband died a few months before her 50th anniversary.  She wanted to take his ashes to Italy but didn’t know where to put them.  She was sitting in the Sistine Chapel and it was crowded and it just felt right so she pulled his ashes out of her purse and just left the bag under a bench in the chapel!  Ha!!  I wonder if people knew what they were when they found the ashes.  She seemed fun!! 

Tomorrow is a sea day!  Reading, walking and napping!


No comments:

Post a Comment