Sunday, May 29, 2016

Yoga

In November of 2014 I started having trouble with my left shoulder - pain and limited movement.  In the spring of 2015, I was diagnosed with a frozen shoulder and started physical therapy.  It was HORRIBLE painful - it hurt to breathe or move and if I got bumped, it would make me want to scream.  I could barely move it so good thing it was my left arm.  My kids called me T-rex.

I went to physical therapy 2-3 time a week from March 1st until school got out in June.  It hurt soooo bad.  They did acupuncture and pulled it and did all these exercises.  It wasn't improving fast enough so I went to a doctor to get a cortisone shot.  It slowly started improving.  During the summer, I had a hard time lifting heavy things or moving my arm very far.  I started PT again in August until Nov.  They got it as far as they could, then said it would just get better with time.  I started Yoga in January.  Ratish comes to my house to work with me for an hour for 1000 rupees ($15).  It has improved quite a bit.

18 months after it started, I'd say have about 90-95 percent mobility now and the pain is a lot better.

Yoga has improved my flexibility and balance and I am working on my strength.   I had been working with a personal trainer, Nilendra, for three years, but our work was greatly compromised due to my shoulder.  Basically I just did squats and lunges for 6th month with him because I couldn't use my arms, not even to get down on the ground to do abs.

Ratish does a lot of breathing exercises with me too and I am sleeping sooooo much better. Since I was diagnosed with Lupus 12-13 years ago I have slept horribly.  I wake up 10-30 times a night - no exaggeration!!  The doctor makes me count.  Now I'm waking up 2, maybe 3 times a night!!

No comments:

Post a Comment