Wednesday, July 6, 2016

4th of July in Atlanta

My brother Christopher moved to Atlanta for State Farm in November so my took my dad to go see him. We left IL on the 1st and I used my miles to fly us down.  He picked us up from the MARTA station and showed us his office.  We walked around and ate at Shane's Rib Shack - yum! We stayed with Christopher Friday and Saturday night at his house in Woodstock.

On Saturday we went to the Jimmy Carter Presidential Library which was pretty cool.  We tried to go the World of Coke, but the line was huge so we went to the Martin Luther King Historical site which was more crowded than Jimmy Carter, but less so than the Coke place.  We ate at Five Guys burger on the way home - BEEF!
MLK Ebeneezer church
 On Sunday we went to the race expo to pick up my packet.  Dad and Chris were really into the expo so I went through really quickly and didn't get to enjoy it too much.  We decided to go to the World of Coke again and the crowds were less, but still a lot.  That place was crazy!!  Christopher couldn't believe it was even a tourist attraction, let alone one of the biggest one!  There were soooo many people in there.  They herded us in 200 at a time to watch a movie and then move on to the exhibits and it was so crowded.  There were a lot of interesting things in there - I particularly liked the Olympic torches from several Olympics games.  It is amazing that the invention of one drink effected the world in such a profound way.  The Coke culture spread to so many countries and they have had some genius marketing.








We ate at Waffle House then went to our hotel - it was perfect. The Courtyard Mariott downtown right next to the Peachtree MARTA station.  On Monday - the 4th- Dad headed to the airport to go home and I went to do the 10k.  I haven't run more than half a km in almost a year.  I managed to run 3 miles and walked the rest.  It was HOT, but a lot of fun.  I finished in 1 hour 40 minutes.  I went back to the hotel, napped/watched TV, ate dinner, and got ready for the next stage of my trip - New Orleans. 

No comments:

Post a Comment