Saturday, July 16, 2016

New Orleans days 3 and 4

 On Friday we had roasted tomatoes and three cheese frittata at the B & B - yum!
Norma and Miguel picked me up and we went off to see plantations.  I am a sucker for big southern mansions like I should have been born in the 1890s sipping lemonade on the porches of these great houses.


We went to Oak Alley plantation first and it was gorgeous.  It was a sugarcane planation so their was a lot of information about how sugarcane was grown and harvested.  The big house was a gift from Jacques Telesphore Roman to his bride Celina.  The Alley of Oaks is a quarter mile alley of 300 year old Virginia Live Oaks.  There are 14 on each side 80 feet apart.

slave cabins

slave cabins


sugar kettle



the upper level
porch

view from the porch

view from the porch


Next we headed to Laura plantation - a creole planation based on detailed memoirs of life in 1805.  The tales of Br'er Rabbit were first recorded.





It was a really hot day, but we enjoyed it!




Saturday

They served  croissant french toast and bacon at the B & B this morning.  I walked up to the WWII museum and it was great.  It is known as one of best museums in the US and it did not disappoint.  I also saw the 4D movie Beyond all borders produced by Tom Hanks.  The exhibits “The Road to Tokyo”  and “The Road to Berlin”  were really good… and depressing.  I was pretty emotional the whole time and struck by how a few crazy people can turn the whole world upside down.

I walked around down by the Quarter and saw a musician playing “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald”.  My dad loves that song and we grew up singing it all the time.  

I love just walking around and looking at all the New Orleans architecture. 








A police officer in NOLA died recently and they had a huge police funeral for him – streets were closed down as a ton of police motorcycles and state trooper cars went down the street.  I went down to the French Market and got some apple beignets, but they were not as good as the beignets at Café Du Monde J


I went to church with Norma and Miguel at the Cathedral, had some jambalaya with them, then went back to my B&b.


On Sunday we had potato casserole, scrambled eggs and a biscuit for breakfast and I flew to Houston to start the next phase of my trip. 

No comments:

Post a Comment