Sunday, June 19, 2011

Five weeks to Mumbai

A lot of people have been asking me the same questions about international teaching so I thought I'd try to adress some of them here!

I love to travel and see new places and this seems to be a good way to experience different cultures long term.  I applied to work at schools with the Department of Defense about 18 months ago and that didn't work out so this year I interviewed with private schools.  Two schools in china were interested in hiring me but I chose to accept the job in Mumbai, India for several reasons.
1. The school is amazing!  Lots of great opportunies for me there.
2. India is a democracy so I'll have access to facebook, skype etc.
3. The school provides furnished housing so I don't have to worry about paying bills with a housing allowance, finding an apartment etc.
4. There are a lot of English speaking people in India.

I will be working at the American School of Bombay.   It is an international school with students and teachers from all over the world.  The school year is similar to here.  School starts Aug 9th for the kids and ends June 3rd or so.  We get a week off in October, three weeks off at Christmas, and a week for spring break in April.  I'm hoping to get a lot of opportunity to travel while I'm there!

This is all I got to take with me.
I have sold or will sell almost everything I own. My dad is coming to Houston on July 20th and we are going to drive up to Illinois with some things that I can't take with me, but want to keep.  I will be leaving Illinois July 25th to fly to New York. All of the new teachers are flying from Newark on the 26th. It is coming up fast!

The school sent this book to help prepare us for what we may encounter.
I will try to post some of the more interesting details about the process  :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you decided to start a blog! Can't wait to read about your adventures!!!

    ReplyDelete