Sunday, June 19, 2011

Quite a Process

Getting a job overseas and preparing to move overseas is a huge process!

There are tons of private international schools all over the world.  They are all independently operated so I signed up with Search Associates.  SA organizes job fairs so they can match teachers with schools.  You turn in all your infomation to them and schools can look at it so you don't have to fill out dozens of applications.  I signed up to attend a job fair in Boston the first week of February.  I was one of the fortunate applicants who had phone and skype interviews with schools before the fair.  I had three schools that were pretty much guaranteed to offer me a job.

During the whole process I kept saying things like "I'm game to go pretty much anywhere, but India isn't high on my list and I'd probably turn a school down for that reason."  God had different plans!  I interviewed with the middle school principal several times and the high school principal once and I just really think I will fit in at the school. 

Once I was hired, I told my current principal that I wouldn't officially resign until I had my Visa in hand.  I wanted to make sure everything went smoothly because with the way US schoosl are cutting teachers I was afraid once I gave up my job, I wouldn't get it back!  It took four weeks to get my Visa.  The day I got it, I resigned.  Kind of sad - been with this district for 11 years.  I just got my medical stuff and vaccines finished this week.  I couldn't sell my house so I am renting it out.  I signed up with a property management company to deal with getting renters etc.  I was allowed to take 600 pounds of stuff that fin into 6.2 cubic meters.  Not a lot of stuff!  The shippers came this week so that is one more thing I can cross of the list. This week I am dealing with more banking stuff and paperwork.  Fun!

People always ask if I am scared.  About going to India?  no way!  It is an adventure!  That paperwork is going to get screwed up and something might go badly with bills or something??  yes, a little nervous about that!  Being on a plane for 19 hours? definitely scared about that!

Once I get this living overseas thing down, it will make it a lot easier to move to the next country!

No comments:

Post a Comment