Saturday, June 25, 2011

Monsoons and Squat toilets



Monsoon season is from June to September.  It rains.  A lot.  Apparently it rains so hard that it shuts down the transportation system.




I like to walk around as much as possible and run errands on foot, but that might have to wait until after Monsoon season.  That is a lot of water.





 One thing that people always ask about is
the bathroom situation.  Squat toilets are
common and toilet paper is NOT common!   
 Most Indians use their left hand and water
 to clean themselves.  That is why the left
 hand is considered unclean and it is
disrespectful to eat with the left hand,
handle money with the left had etc. 
 I had no idea how to use a squat toilet so
I looked it up on the internet! 


You can seriously find infomation on ANYTHING on the web :)  This is how you are supposed to squat and it is way harder than it looks.  I am old and have lupus joints. My friends at school laughed as I practiced. It
 is really hard to get down that far.  I also
seriously considered bringing a funnel so I don't
pee on my clothes. HA! They sell disposable and reusable funnels at camping supply stores to help women pee in the woods.  I didn't get any, but I may wish I had :)



These two things are completely out of my realm of experience and other people count these as reasons not to go to India go, but I am just trying to see everything as part of the adventure.

1 comment:

  1. That's pretty close to one of the labor & birthing squat methods I learned!
    Supposedly, "squatting" people have fewer instances of GI problems and colon cancer!

    ReplyDelete