Sunday, January 1, 2012

Day 14 going home

Day 14

Turkish air put us up In The courtyard marriott by the Istanbul airport. It was a really nice hotel. Getting there was a pain. We got to Istanbul and got in line with all the other people who missed their flights. The counter was a mad house. People yelling and upset and true to form the Indians were some of the worst- Pushing people put of the way to get farther up In the line. We waited for 40 minutes before we got close to the front. This eastern european woman tried to push in front of people they blocked her and she tried with me and i was like -not gonna happen sister! She grabbed my arm and pushed me. I told her she better get her hand off of me and not touch me again! She huffed and waded through other people and next thing i know she had pushed her way behind!! The counter harassing the workers. We were right behind three Indians. They were freaking out because only two of them were able to get a visa into Turkey. I understand they were upset. they weren't planning on leaving the airport- just catching a connecting flight. But things happen and the hotel in the airport was full so they had to go to a hotel somewhere else but couldn't because one of them wasn't allowed a visa into the country. They were screaming at the guy. How it was his problem- that it was the airline's fault they were here so they were responsible for providing them with visas. They did not seem to understand that the airline doesn't have any control over a country's passport laws!!! I felt so bad for the counter guy that I tried to explain to the family what the problem was. In typical Indian fashion they were impervious to rational facts. The man started yelling at me about how they have to wait for 24 hours for another flight to Mumbai. I told him " I know. I'm on the same flight. I live there." that shut him up. we finally had to go to another counter because that family was sucking up so much time. I poured on the charm to the guy we got :) apologized for the night he was having and we agreed to pay for our visas.

Then we go down to the desk where they issue hotel vouchers. Wait for 45 minutes while they issue them groups at a time. Get on the shuttle with others to the Marriott. Wait for an hour there while they assign people rooms. The airline did provide us with vouchers for dinner, breakfast, and lunch so that was nice. I was exhausted and went to sleep in my clothes. Took a shower the next morning and put the same nasty clothes back on :)

I went out in the morning and took a shuttle to the part where the Blue Mosque, Hippodrome, and Haghia Sophia. For someone who didn't know what a Hippodrome was 2 weeks ago, I have now seen a lot of them! There wasn't much left of the chariot race stadium they had used the marble seats to make the Haghia Sophia and the Blue Mosque. The Mosque used to be a church and still had Mosaics of Jesus and The Virgin Mary

We had a pretty uneventful 6 hour flight home and breezed through immigration and our bags arrived even though we haven't seen them for 2 days!  and we were greeted by the best sight ever after a long trip - one of my favorite school drivers - Lawrence!  He hugged us and said he waited two hours for us at 4 am yesterday and when we didn't show, he went home and decided to try again today!  Bless him!!
There were Christmas lights up everywhere in the streets :) and lots of people walking home at 5 am from a NYE party at the Bandra Gymkhana.

I went to my flat and crashed.  5 hours later woke up vomiting! augh!  I have spent six weeks vomitting regularly or being so nauseated I can't concentrate all day.  Docs have said it is acid refux or stress and I have denied it.  I think it is my apartment.  This proves it.  I ate crap all vacation and my stomach was fine. I'm in my house 5 hours and vomit!!  Going to talk to the school tomorrow about testing for toxic fumes or mold or something.  The doc said to "air out my apartment"  are you kidding me ?!?!?!?!  I didn't cook stinky food!!!  I don't think Mumbai outside air is any less toxic than Mumbai inside air!!! This is not a long term solution - open windows invite malaria carrying mosquitos into my flat and a lot of honking sounds!  and as soon as I close the window - whatever it is that is making me sick will build up again!!
I am hoping that throwing up all day on New Years means good luck for the rest of the year!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Bobbi Jo! I'm glad you had a great trip but what a welcome home. I'm sure you're right about the good luck in 2012.

    ReplyDelete