Monday, February 27, 2012

The Saga Continues - root canal number two.



On Thursday when we were in the airport getting ready to fly to New Delhi for Math Counts, a tooth on my left side started hurting when we were in the Mumbai airport. It is the opposite side of the tooth I've had all the work done on so I thought it was just sore from overuse since I have basically only eaten on that side for a month.

By Friday morning my tooth was killing me. I could only eat by sucking on food on one side and swallowing it basically whole. Every time I touched it with my toothbrush or tongue it hurt really bad.  I called the dentist to tell him that I need him to look at it when I see him Monday to put the final crown on the other tooth. He gave me a prescription over the phone. Love India. I wasn’t really around a chemist so I just popped three alieve at a time.  It made the pain tolerable. 

We had lasagna for lunch Friday and I could just swallow it whole. For lunch on Saturday we had noodles and I could swallow those whole. If you took an x -ray of my stomach this weekend, there would be a mass of undigested food in there!

On Monday I went to get my crown put on.  It should have been my last visit.  My left tooth has actually felt better and I ate oatmeal and noodles on it today. I consider myself on expert on dentristry by now and I paid attention to every aspect of the tooth incident.  He asked if it hurt when I laid down.  No.  I knew he was going to ask that so I experimented with when it did hurt more.  So I offered up that it hurt more when I bent over to pick something help.  He had a bad look on his face.   He took an X-ray, said “oh No” and started laughing.  Not a good sign.  ROOT CANAL!!!!   Buggars!!!!  It doesn’t seem like it will shatter into pieces like the other one, but an old filling started leaking and now the roots are infected.  He said it hurt so much this weekend because the roots were dying and it felt better now because the infection had basically killed the roots.  You should have seen the look on his face when I told him I was taking three alieve at a time!!!  Ha!  would have taken vicodin if I had some! 

So history is repeating itself and I am taking antibiotics and anti-inflamatory medicine and if the infection is better by Thursday, we can start the root canal process.  At least I know what to expect this time.  I guess the month of march will be taken up with the dentist!  It really eats into my workout time.

Praise God I live in India and two root canals is going to cost about $1000.   Praise God I live in India where the dentist has evening appointments!!



No comments:

Post a Comment