Friday, February 10, 2012

Weekend fun with friends

I had a stressful week so I was excited that Andrea graciously invited some of us over to play games at her house.  Nancy, Zach, me, Bryan, Jordan, Preya, Reid and Andrea started off playing charades.  We are all new to the school this year except for Reid.  Our personalities were reflected in the words/phrases etc that we put into the charade bucket.  As I think about each person there, we are all extremely different but managed to have a lot of fun together!!!  After charades we played Psychiatrist.  It was kind of like "whose line is it anyway".  One person would leave the apartent and they rest of us would come up with a scenario to act out and see if the person could guess what it was.  I got to act like Zach,  be a heroin addict, be part of a love triange etc as part of the game :)   At the end of the night Reid took out a cake box and put it on the floor.  He said we had to pick it off of the floor without using our hands and keeping our feet on the floor.  Each time someone did it successfully, he ripped part of the box off so it was shorter and harder to pick up.  I am extremely unfexible due to running so I was out right away.  It was fun to watch people's attempts to due.  Andrea got amazing video footage of Zach doing it!  Zach's wife Nancy is going to be out of town later this week so it is my job to "babysit" him :) and keep him company.  We have plans to practice the box activity using cinnabons!  I like to call it " bobbing for cinnabons"  :)  Preya totally won the cake box challenge due to the fact she is half Indian and can do the Indian squat effortlessly.

I walked home with Reid, Jordan and Preya - the weather is gorgeous right now.  I got home around 1am.  I actally slept for almost 6 hours only waking up 3 or 4 times. Usually I wake up 12-25 times a night.  no kidding.  serious sleeping issues. 

On Saturday I met Andrea, Nancy and Preya at the train station and we took it to CST - the very famous Victoria train station.  It is FAR away and costs 6 rupees to get there by train.  that is about 12 cents.  :)  It is faster too.  As long as you get a seat and aren't crammed in there like sardines - it is ok.   We had a very pleasant ride.  We went to crawford market.  You can get pretty much anything there - spices, pets, dried fruits and nuts, produce, meat.  We went passed a huge slaughter house thing.  it smelled.  There was also a lot of slaughtering goign on uncontained in a slaughter house.  We tried to cut through a path to get from the street to the market.  We stopped about 10 feet in when we saw sheep brains on the ground.  yuck.

The whole market area was crowded and guys kept coming up to us wanting us to buy stuff.  They don't listen when you say no.  Especially when you are white.  They think we are tourists.  Whenever they ask where I'm from I alway say Bandra ( a section of Mumbai where I live)  it startles them a little and makes them think I am a little less likely to take their crap.  I HATE it when they touch me. When you say no, they grap your arm and try to get you to go to their store or they grab you to try to turn you back to them when you turn away.  no. no. no.  unacceptable.  I don't care what culture you are from.  You do not get to physically grab someone.  I say very loudly "get your hand off of me"  that usually works because they don't want to cause a scene.  I will use my combat skills to take them down if I have too :)

We found a great area to buy fabric.  The girls bought 2 meters for $8 for a dress then you can get clothes made by a tailor.  Fairly cheap custom made clothes :)

Internet goes in and out here.  My friend needed it to interview on skype with another school - she asked if I could bring over my 3g stick.  I went over there and hung out and ate a cinnabon with her husband Zack :)   mmmm. cinnabon!

1 comment:

  1. 12-25 wake ups/night?! Sounds like me!! Have you ever tried Ambien? or any other sleep aid? I know several teachers at my school take Ambien - they swear by it. I've never tried it, but you may want to get something to help you sleep! Can't be healthy!

    ReplyDelete