Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Laptop institute in Memphis

I FINALLY got to meet some of my colleagues!  ASB sent its new employeesand some current ones to the Luasanne Laptop Institute.  The actual conference was only Monday and Tuesday, but we got here Saturday so that we could do some training with just our school. 
I was really nervous and excited about this.  Technology is my weakest area.  I made that clear when I was hired :) and they assured me that I would get plenty of support and help.  So I was excited about learning but nervous about being confused and behind everyone else.  This was the first time I had ever used my laptop outside of my house and had to log in at a public place - seriously!  We started with just a couple hours on Saturday and I was CONFUSED.  On Sunday I sat next to an angel named Megan :)  She was so patient and helpful.  I definitely didn't understand everything but just hearing all these unfamiliar vocabulary words and technologies helped me be more prepared for the classes I would take on Monday and Tuesday. 
Memphis seems to only serve meat!!  ribs/ porkchops/ BBQ/ loose meat sandwhiches - and they always serve it with cole slaw, onion rings, fries and baked beans.  Even for breakfast they serve fried chicken on a bisquit.   Sunday night we went to BB Kings and had ribs/bbq/catfish fingers etc.   Monday's lunch was Corkey's BBQ delivered to the school (with coleslaw and baked beans).  We went to  Pork on Beale for dinner Monday and had ribs with.... you guessed it... baked beans, cole slaw,and onion rings!!  I do not eat a lot of meat (only if is in my lean cuisines :)  and that is a LOT of meat.  I planned for Tuesday to be a vegetarian day :) had salad for lunch and the MOST AMAZING CHOCOLATE MOUSSE CAKE I've ever had!
Beale street is crazy on the weekends!  The cops block the entrances to the street and scan everyone with metal detectors.
I learned so much stuff.   Wow!!!  my brain is going to melt with all this information.   The conference is for teachers of schools that have employed a 1:1 laptop program (or are going to)  I’m getting to meet teachers from all over the world who are in schools with 1:1 laptops.  I met a great couple from Lima, Peru today.  They have also worked in Mozambique.  How cool!!  I am so excited about getting to be a part of this international teaching community.  It is inspiring to hear all the places that people have worked and I want to go!!!  We have people who have worked in Brazil, Estonia, Thailand, Canada, Singapore and a lot of other places.  Our new employees are a mix of single/married and first time overseas workers/experience overseas workers.  It has been great to talk to people and get information about what to bring and expect.
 Every minute I am convinced I picked the correct school.  They are wonderful!   The staff is very helpful and enthusiastic.  They do a lot to make the transition easy as possible.  Not every international school does that.  We hear how things are at other schools and I think this one is going to be as close to Heaven as you can get in a school.  I cannot wait to get there!!
 At the end of the conference we had a closing session with door prizes and I won a freaking ipad2!!!  yes!  a freakingfree one :)  They also had a closing party at Silky Sullivan's and had...yep... BBQ.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so jealous of your free iPad!! What an awesome door prize!

    ReplyDelete