Sunday, July 31, 2011

Rainy day four


I didn’t wake up until 6am this morning.  7 hours of sleep.  Score!  Got up and walked around – starting to get a little better feel of where things are.  Sometimes I find something really cool then don’t remember where it is to go back to it J  I think it will be a lot easier when the dry season comes. 

I am going to share a maid with Amy so we met today about expectations and hope to interview this week. 

They took us to this huge mall which we were really excited about, but saw that a good part of it was open air.  Or wet air.  It is very hard to shop when you are soaking wet.  I got some pillows and a towel.  Still need sheets, pillowcases, towels, drapes etc..  Then we went to Good Earth which had a lot of very expensive high quality stuff.  I am going to wait to buy sheets Towels but I got the coolest dishes!  Elephants!  I only got 4 dinner plates and 4 bowls and I refuse to admit how much I paid for them.  I figure as time goes on I can acquire the dessert plates (which were super cute with three elephants), cups, serving platters etc.  For now I am trying to get some turquoise cups to go with them.





I am trying lots of different food – Everyone around me has a lot of experience with foreign food which means I get lots of good recommendations.  A friend told me I should try an “egg roll” it’s like pita bread or a tortilla type thing wrapped around a cooked egg and chicken.  So yummy!  And I think I forgot to tell everyone that last night at the superintendent’s house we had fried honey for dessert.  Doesn’t that sound like rodeo food?  Fried honey!



The school gave us food to get by for a few days.  This is the weirdest watermelon I’ve ever seen.  And we had tiny tiny bananas – this is laying next to a small snack chip bag. 
                                                            

     
     





I went to the market to get more damp rid around dinner time.  Holy moly the rain was unbbelievable.  It has rained all day and it is starting to get deep!  My street was the deepest – one intersection was so bad cars were backing up because they realized it was too deep to drive farther.  My umbrella did not do much good – I was soaking wet from the waist down and my feet were horribly wet.  Buying those Tevas was one of the best decisions I ever made.  It might be awhile before I can wear them again.  The water was ankle to calf deep for a lot of my walk.  It wasn’t until I got home that I noticed a big bite on my ankle.  I wish I had taken my camera to capture some of the chaos but I had left it at home because it was so wet out. 

It started to absolutely gush rain so I stopped in a place called Eat around the Corner.  That will be my hangout.  It was beautiful – all white and mirrors.  They have guards at the door and metal detectors ( a lot of places do here).  I got a tomato, mozarella, and pesto panini and this amazing fruit pizza tart thing.  It was made like a tart with that cream cheese stuff a fruit pizza has and slices of nectarines, kiwis, apples, grapes, mango, pineapple, papaya. It was amazing!

Tried to wash some clothes here which is no easy task!  First of all the tiny washer holds about 4 or 5 things depending on what they are.  At first I couldn’t get it to turn on (you just don’t push a button to start it – you have to flip the power thing, and turn a water valve.  After it got done running they clothes were SOPPING WET.  They didn’t spin!  When I couldn’t figure out why I asked my neighbor Valencia (she owns the apartment)  the knob on the washer was broken so I was left with a kitchen counter holding sopping wet towells.  Bryan, who lives two floors below me and is new to ASB also came to check it out and we got the knob to work for the time being.  The dryer was tricky too – had to turn on a separate power thing even though are both in the same spot.   Thank goodness for kind neighbors.  School tomorrow – I’m sure I will learn tons! 
I have been sitting here for 30 minutes waiting for 4 pictures to load!!  hopefully when I get internet working in my apartment adn don't have to use this stick I can do better at pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment