Monday, October 17, 2011

Parent teacher conferences

we had parent teacher conferences this week 3:30 to 6:30pm on Thursday then all day Friday. All but 4 or 5 of them showed- out of 70! Pretty good!  I've never had parent conferences like this - I was a little nervous. I had the kids fill out these reflection sheets about their progress in math.  many of the kids mentioned how they are math ninjas in training and want to be Ninjas or Jedi masters :)

the conferences were wonderful! the parents  were really supportive and it was obvious they loved their kids. They rubbed their kids' heads, squeezed their cheeks, etc. Some wanted me to challenge their kids mathematically, others wanted me to boost their kids up to grade level. I have some kids who get 100s on everything and can do math far above grade level, but they speak mostly by grunting and rarely speak three consecutive English words. Their parents want me to work with them on math communication. 
I was bowed to A LOT! a couple families gave me Diwali gifts. many parents thanked me for making their kid like math! several told me they liked the relationship I had with their child. Overall it was a good experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment