Wednesday, March 7, 2012

A great week!

This has been a good week!

On Monday I had a great day teaching.  My Algebra kids rocked!  and my 6th graders made amazing presentations.  On Tuesday I had more 6th graders make amazing presentations and we got to play with the 3 D shapes.  I love Geometry.  Brianna had a snow day in Kentucky so she got to spend all day home with my niece which means I got videos of her attempting to crawl and repeating sounds.  So of course we had Charlie time in class :)  I cannot wait to lay my hands on that baby girl!!!!

We had our CSR day last week.  We have three a year.  We take a school day to work with an NGO (non governmental organization)  6th graders work with Welfare for Stray Dogs.  We made dog biscuits at the school then took them to the shelter.  We walked dogs, fed them, washed them, watched surgery, went on ambulance rides, and painted a mural.  8th graders get a choice as to which organization they work with.  My teaching partner Jordan has 7 students that work with JEET.  They are an NGO that work with kids after school.  They use sports to teach life skills.  Jordan's kids can't go work with the JEET kids during the day so they used their CSR day to plan evening activities for the JEET kids.  There were 30 + kids and they were split up into groups of 11 and younger and 12 and up.  Jordan's kids were responsible for getting the kids involved in activites and I was just supposed to chaperone and not step in to help.  It was interesting to see them be teachers.  They noticed when activites were not taking as long as they wanted and they had to come up with other things fill time etc.  They would ask me what they should do and I tried my best not to help :) and have them problem solve.  They did pretty good.  I was in the room with the younger kids so they did not speak much English.  Two of the presenting kids translated Hindi.  It is amazing how much I understand because they use a lot of English words mixed in with Hindi.  The kids were adorable!  There was a tiny 6 year old who was about the size of an American 3 and a half year old.  The JEET volunteers had to help him alot with games.  He was the youngest and trouble following what was going on.  I wanted to take him home with me!!!!  They played charades,  pictionary, guessing games, did paper folding etc.  After two hours we took them down to the gym and just threw soccor balls in there and let them run wild.  it was craziness!!!!  We had Pizza Hut deliverd and it was funny to watch some of the kids eat a little pizza then pull out the Indian food they brought with them - they prefered that!. When Jordan went home for Christmas, he brought back American and Canadian candy and his CSR group had a candy sale.  Peanut butter cups go for a premium here!!!  They raised enough money to buy soccer jerseys for the JEET kids.  The shirts said JEET on the front and "will suceed" on the back.  The kids LOVED them!!!  The school also donated 2 used laptops for the organization.  Jeet is run by Alok.  He grew up in this slum and is 21 and in college now and donates all of his free time to run this organization.  He has the biggest heart and was so thankful for the work the ASB kids did with his kids.  He hugged Jordan with joy when he left.  I had a great night working with those kids!

On Wednesday my Algebra kids had a quiz on Combining like terms, distributive property, and variables on both sides.  These kids are not the most gifted math students so I work really hard with them.  The first quiz I graded belonged to a girl who is a "selective mute"  she is physically able to speak but chooses not too.  It is a lot of work to get her to squeak out and few words and she gives you the look of death for making her do it!!  ha!  She got a 100.  I started crying!!!  My kids were asking if i was really crying.  YES!  I was so proud of her!  Then 3 more kids got a 100. 2 got a 95 and 1 got a 90.  I called the principal and asked if she had a few minutes to come down to see my kids.  We had a parade where they showed her their quizzes.  She took a group picture of them.  Then she sent it to all of their parents :)  I was sooooo proud of them.  H block didn't do as well, but their lowest grade was a 75 and that is pretty fantastic for them!!! 

We have puzzle club after school on Wednesdays and we had 18 kids today and they loved it!!! 

I got on the 4:10 bus and hussled over to my millionth dentist visit.  He cleaned all the debris out and he should be able to fill it next week.

Tomorrow is Holi and I am not ready to embace it!!!  I do not want to be in all that messy chaos!  I got hit with multiple water balloons and guns tonight but at least it was clear water - tomorrow it will be paint!

On Saturday I am going to Lonavala with some staff - should be fun!

Trying to figure out what to do during spring break!  choices are stay here, Darjeeling, or Dubai... hmmm.

another great week at ASB!!

No comments:

Post a Comment