Saturday, September 3, 2011

Camera Getting adventure!

So I went out on a mission to get a camera.  I waited all day for the rain to let up and realized that wasn't happening so I put on my tevas, grabbed an umbrella and headed out.  Immediately outside of my apartment I run into Bryan and Jordan who are also math teachers at ASB.  Chatted with them a little and headed on my errand.  Five minutes later I ran into Corey - another teacher at ASB.  I talked to him a little then continued.  I walked around on one of my general scouting trips then headed to Croma - the go to electronics place.  Several men greeted and me and tried to have a conversation - since I am now on an anti stalking mission I did my best to deter it.  I've never been a woman that has guys chasing her!!!  apparently I just needed to move somewhere where being white is "exotic".  I hunted around some of the stalls in the same building as Croma and found exactly what I was looking for!!!  A beautiful sony cybershot that is an upgrade from what I had!!  I go to pay for it and my credit card was declined!  Stupid Citi bank!  I called three times before I left the states to make it clear I was living in India.   I bought a TV a few weeks ago and I bet that triggered the fraud alert.  Then they usually call to have to verify etc.   Well obviously they couldn't call me so I bet when I talk to them today they are going to say the cancelled my card.  Augh!  I definitely value the fact they are trying to protect people, but I did what I was supposed to and called in advance!!  and I've only bought one thing.  Anyway I had to come up with 7,800 rupees!  I wasn't expected to spend any.  so I dump everything out of my purse and used a couple thousands and a bunch of 100s, 50s, 20s, and 10s.  There were 29 bills on the counter - they were laughing at me!!!! 

Customer service in India - they open the box so I could look at it.  He puts the battery in and SETS THE TIME AND DATE FOR ME.  Shows me it is ready to go and writes up the bill and I head on my way.  As I wait for him to pack it back up I hear "shouldn't you be making math lessons?"  It is Paul and Kurt two of my 6th grade team teachers.  I've never lived in a neighborhood where you run into people.  5 ASB teachers in one afternoon! 

I head on my home - now I can't eat at this restaraunt I wanted to try because I am down to 40 rupees!  that is less than $1.  The rain was bad on my way there, but worse on my way home.  MONSOON!!  ugh - it was raining sideways, turned my umbrella inside out, soaked me.  I saw one of the tarps they put up over stalls collapse and send a deluge of water over people.  I stepped on one of the rectangle cement things on the side walk (people in Mumbai - you know what I mean)  I try to avoid them because so many have holes etc. but I step on this one and it flipped down - my cat like agility :) prevented me from falling into the pit!! 


I got home and was going to try to skype call the credit card company and saw my sister was on.  It was good to talk to her for a few minutes and see Charlie.  Bri saw me in the video an said - "your hair looks terrible!!!"   Well - dear sis. this is what happens when you go to buy a camera in mumbai during monsoon!  A car tried to back over me, several bussed nearly ran me down, Indian men tried to harass me, I was hungry because I had no money left, my umbrella flipped inside out so I got soaked, rickshaws bumped into me and it rained incessently.  I think the fact I got home in one piece is minor miracle! not too worried about my hair - although she is correct - it was horrible!!

No comments:

Post a Comment