Sunday, September 4, 2011

What is my Reputation?

Whenever you're in conflict with someone, there is one factor that can make the difference between damaging your relationship and deepening it. That factor is attitude.”   William James

Are people's lives changed for the better because I'm in them?

Today there was a guest speaker at my church and he had a big target with concentric circles. Belief was in the center, values in the next circle, Attitude, behavior and Reputation were in the last three circles.  It was like waves in a pond - your belief system ( the Bible) affects your values, which affects your attitude which affects your behavior, which all together makes your Reputation.

The Bible should affect our values.  What do we value? Honesty? Integrity? kindness? service? generocity?
Our values affect our Attitude and Behavior - are we kind, honest, trustworthy?  do we serve others?
All of that affects our Reputation. 

What we do and who we are affects people.  If we are generally kind, helpful, honest and then we aren't, that hurts people because they expect you to be better than that!  If you are generally mean, selfish, etc people are hurt less by you because they are used it, that is what you are known by!  So it is much harder to have a good reputation and keep it!!


What is my Reputation?  I hope it is that I am honest to a fault - I don't lie ever! /// that I am generous with my time, money and service to others/// that I am kind and compassionate/// that I am funny/// that I love teaching and would do anything for my kids///that I am good friend and would be there if you needed me////that I love my friends and family with my whole heart/// that I'm good in a crisis//// that I am strong/// that I am willing to correct wrongs///that I really listen to people///that I acknowledge when I've hurt someone and that I appologize and make it right/// that I am cheerful and positive/// that i am hard working///that most of all I know that I have been Saved and would be nothing without Jesus.

Is that what people really think of when they think of me?  I don't know.  Some are kind of fact - I don't ever lie and I would do anything for my kids, friends and family and I'm funny :)  :)Other attributes probably vary by the day.  Not all of these things deal with today exactly but they are an example.
Was I kind to everyone I came in contact with today?  Probably not. 
Did I tithe like I should have at church today?  No.  but often I do.
Did I stew over something someone said or did to me instead of talking to them about it immediately?  occasionally.
Did I help friends that needed me?  Today I did and I think most days I do.
Was I honest today?  Well like I said - lying is a huge issue for me so I tell the truth today and I had to tell a friend the truth about something I didn't want to admit.  and that is how it should be.
Did I appologize when needed? probably
Do I work hard? - always! except for housecleaning :)
Did I really listen to people today?  yes
Was I cheerful and positive? generally.  My goals this week is to not complain about the rain, CPR or 6th graders :)
Did everything I do today reflect that I serve Jesus Christ?  NO.  every day I can so NO.  which sucks and needs to be improved.

Do people see only the worst parts of me?  that I am a jabber monkey sometimes?  that I get cranky sometimes?  that I am selfish with my time occassionally?  that I judge other people's actions more quickly than I should, that I cuss sometimes? - Hopefully they see a lot more of the good than the bad.

Arise, shine; for your light has come,
And the glory of the LORD has risen upon you.
2 “For behold, darkness will cover the earth
And deep darkness the peoples;
But the LORD will rise upon you
And His glory will appear upon you.
3Nations will come to your light,
And kings to the brightness of your rising.
Isaiah 60:1-3

They talked a lot about light today.  I need to be a light this week and not part of the darkness!

No comments:

Post a Comment