Thursday, September 15, 2011

Really Fantastic Day

First of all today marks the end of a week without crying!!  who hoo!  on to week two!

I had two of my 6th grade blocks today in the morning.  We had a lot of fun with our test review - loud and very chaotic but they were doing great and loving it.  I put 32 integer problems on the board and they each had to pick two.  The first class missed NONE!!  The second class missed 3.  Let's hope they do this well on the test Monday. 

We took our class picture today.  I work at a school where you can take a class picture!!  We have around 50 sixth graders.  Imagine trying to get all of them to sit still and face forward - whew.

After lunch I watched Jordan's Algebra class while they graphed speed, distance, elevation, etc.  They watched videos then tried to graph what they saw.  Then they did their own action and used this machine measure those things.  It was hilarious to see what the groups picked to do.  One group just had a kid walk, others were running into walls or falling and they loved seeing the graphs.  I have never seen kids so into Algebra!  As I was watching them, I translated a test into French.  It takes a very long time.  I have to translate all the English into French then translate all the French into English to make sure it was ok.  I also sent invites to kids who need extra math help to come to our "math club" on Mondays.  We teach basic math skills that they should already know in a fun, game like environment - trying to catch them up.

Thursdays is the Math Counts day.  I have never coached "mathletes" before :)  it is so fun to see them in action.   We work on math that is way above grade level, be we also work on team building because a lot of these kids are very good at math but have trouble colaborating.  We also have some that really struggling with English and that holds them back.  Today we divided them into teams randomly and took them down to the cafeteria.  Each team had to pick a "runner".  They would answer a problem and I would check the answer.  If I said Yes, Jordan would give them another problem.  The school is very community oriented so after school there are tons of parents and kids down there - eating a snack, hanging out, waiting for their drivers.  So we spread them out on tables and we sat on the stairs and it was funny to watch them run through the cafeteria.  They seriously didn't notice any of the chaos around them - they were so focussed on math!  Several teachers came by to chat with us - they thought we were just hanging out waiting for the bus.  NO!  this is us working!!  :)  We are training mathletes and today we made them run like athletes!  ha!  we need whistles! 

The bus ride home took a little longer due to the Bandra Fair.  Lots of pilgrims headed to Mt. Mary Church.

I went for a little walk and ate the chicken curry Jesse made. 
Pretty perfect day! 
Tomorrow starts week 2 of no crying :)

1 comment:

  1. Bobbi Jo, I'm so happy for you. What a great day! I wish I'd seen you and your kids in the canteen. That sounds hilarious. And congrats on making your goal. That's definitely something to be proud of. Glad you're heading into the weekend with two candy bars and lots of great karma shadowing you. :)

    ReplyDelete