Monday, December 12, 2011

Hospital Adventure

I made an appointment over a month ago to see a Rheumatolagist and today was the first available appointment they had.  The Indian hospital system is tough to navigate so I didn't really know how this would go.  Carol, who is a colleague that has lived in India over 20 years agreed to go with me.  She ordered a Cool Cab to pick us up at the school and she speaks Hindi so that was helpful.  The driver took us to Hinduja Hospital where I had an appointment with Dr. Balakrishnan.

When we showed up at the hospital we were told he was at a nearby clinic.  It was crowded and crazy.  We found the doctor's office and went in.  It was a teeny tiny exam room with just a bed and a sink and little consultation room.  He came in and asked if I had a folder.  Dozens of hospital staff had passed us/seen us and no one said I needed to do that.  We find the counter to do that and fill out the papers.  I had to pay 900 rs to be seen.  (not quite $20USD) The doctor spoke perfect English and seemed to know his stuff.  He took notes and said he doesn't think my Lupus is too active but ordered tests so we could see what we are dealing with.  I could get them all done right there.  So we went down to the first floor and stood in line to pay for the tests.  Then we went to Radiology and waited to be called for the chest xray.  Got the chest xray.  went to the ground floor and waited for urine test and blood draw.  They took SIX vials of blood!!

We asked the cab driver to wait for us - we left our stuff in the car with him - our school computers etc!  We would never do that in the States!  Carol got a cab to take her home and I went in the cool cab where he dropped me off at my door - the school van doesn't even do that!

The hospitals are not as clean or pretty as the ones in the US - they are very crowded and they make you deal with three times the paperwork as you would in the US.  BUT I got to see the doctor and get 13 tests run for about $150.  and the cab for 2.5 hours?? $12.  yep 12.   The results should be in by Thursday.  Carol is going to have her diver pick them up Friday morning and bring them to school so I can take them with me to another hospital to meet with the same doctor about the results. 

Hopefully the results are good, but he can do something to make me feel better!

This is our last week of school before Christmas.  I had my sixth graders the last two blocks today and they were actually really good!  They are doing a CamStudio project where they record their voice and their actions on the computer - making their own Khan academy video.  I made one in class as an example and the kids were gracious enough to clap when I got done - they know my technology skills are LOW.  They were so proud of me!

No comments:

Post a Comment