Monday, June 18, 2012

Flying to the US

Flying to the US

On Saturday June 2nd I got up around 6 am like usual and did normal Saturday things. I went for a really long walk, had lunch with a friend, and packed. I took a 1.5 hour nap. Not nearly as long as I'd hoped! Lawrence, one of the school drivers came to get me at my flat at 10:30 pm to take me to the airport. I was on a British airways flight and got checked in really quickly and they allowed me to take two bags for no charge. I then went to the Air France area to wait for my friend. She had to pay 75 Usd for her second bag and it took forever! We saw a fellow ASB teacher at At the AF counter. We went through immigration fairly quickly but two lines over there was a big commotion. Indians causing commotion. They ushered us past the really long security line to the women's line. I was excited until I realized they had ONE conveyor belt for the women and ten for men. They think women don't travel?? As soon as we got down the escalator we see bryan who is also going to Houston, but he is on the air France flight.  On our way to get food, we ran into preya. Prey a, Bryan and I all live in the same building. So does Karen and I know she was at the airport too!  My flight took off on time and there was no pushing or shoving. Even though the flight was full of Indians I am attributing it to the fact we were flying to London. The Indians that go to London have more western style standard for etiquette :)

They didn't have any aisle seats left so I got stuck in the middle. I like the aisle because I am more likely to get blood clots due to my lupus and my sister has has dvts. Also I don't sleep on flights so I like to stand up occasionally and I can go to the bathroom when I want.  We were on that flight for 9.5 hours. The guys in the aisle did not move. He slept every minute except for breakfast at the end. He didn't stretch or go to the bathroom or anything!!  So my are you talking an aisle seat???!?!  I held it for 4 hours!!! Then finally had to ask him to get up!

They gave us a snack at the beginning that was a little too Indian for me but I had the non veg breakfast that was good = eggs, a roll, fruit, potatoes, chicken sausage and dahi! I was happy.  It was cold and rainy in London 11. C.  Its in the 30s in tx! 

The flight from London was better. I had an isle seat and the couple next to me were flying to Houston so they could go to Galveston to cruise on the ship their son worked on.  I was so tired on being on a plane! I can see why people stayed 3 or 4 days at their layover city before continuing on to the US!

It took forever to get through customs! I waited for 45 minutes for Norma to pick me up. It was weird not being able to call her on my cell. I asked about 8 people if I could borrow their cell and none of them had one that worked either!

After she picked me up we went straight to walmart where I spent 120$ on meds,toiletries etc that I can't get in the US.

We bought panera and went to Stacy's  house where I was spending the night.
I passed out at 8pm! 

No comments:

Post a Comment