Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Off to Ireland

On Sunday a bunch of family members had lunch at my Aunt's house.  I haven't seen most of them in 18 months - last Christmas.  We had a great time catuching up.  There were lots of questions about India.  My cousin kept asking "when you say there is garbage everywhere, what do you mean?" I just reply with "There. is. garbage. everywhere."  He asks "like there is garbage bags full of garbage everywhere?"  NO!  it's like people get done with something and just throw it on the ground!!  Most of my family are firmly resolute in the fact they will never come to India!

My dad hurt his leg lifting 100 pound beams (go figure)  so we took it easy and watched Northern Exposure the last couple of days.

I picked up Jimmy Johns to eat on the plane.  My flight from Bloomington was delayed so I was the very last person to get on the flight at O'hare.  whew!  Sat next to a very nice Irishman who gave me the aisle seat when I asked :)   It was a pretty turbulant flight but we made it to Dublin at 8am on time.  There were hundreds of people in line at immigration and I flashed back to the same line at US immigration and the HOUR I spent in it.  this was the fasted immigration line EVER!  The Irish just said "Hi!"  and let every person in without a fuss!  sweet.  I got a very chatty cab driver to take me to Dublin City University.  I was supposed to drop off my big suitcases so I don't have to haul them around.  I was misdirected several times and finally just took them with me to my hotel for the night.  I got on the internet to contact someone to see where I was supposed to leave the bags.  Found a different   cab to take me back there to deliver them.  Those cabs cost A LOT.  I am not in India anymore!

The first cab driver was awesome.  The Irish people were so nice and I see American flags waving like I did in Israel (the countries that start with I seem to like us!  Iran needs to jump on the bandwagon!) He said "If America sneezes, Ireland gets pneomonia!"  ha!  He asked me how many US presidents I've seen - not on TV but at an actual event or something.  I was running in River Oaks when Bush Sr. left his house and drove by me.  Does that count.  He has seen SEVEN American presidents speak - whenever they come to Ireland everyone whats to see them!  He gave opinions on Romney and Obama.  He told him how bad the economy is here - places shut down - no work available.  He said that people are leaving, but no longer for the US because they are in the same situation.  They are having a drug problem - heroin etc.    He said "In India they have sacred cows, right? If one gets in the road people just wait for it and go around, right?  Well, here we have sacred vehicles.  (He points to a Guiness truck unloading on the curb) Anyone else would get a ticket, but these truck are allowed to do whatever they want.  They are our sacred animal"  HA!!!

When I was in Israel 95% of the men were HOT! Here, many are hot, but they all SOUND hot.  Seriously an Irish accent is to die for :)

I got to walk around the main downtown part.  It is cool here - high 60s and I only brought one pair of jeans.  I have capris I hope it is enough.  should have brought more, but I was trying to save room in my suitcase for bringing things back from the US.  Hopefully I will get a better handle on this packing thing....

No comments:

Post a Comment