Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Camp Tapawingo

I was a Girl Scout when I was a child and loved going to camp every summer.  I went until I was about 14 then worked as staff for 5 years in my 20s.  I learned a lot working there.  I was originally studying to be an elementary teacher.  ONE week of camp with Brownies (7/8 year old) convinced me that was NOT a good plan for me!!  and I switched to Middle School :)  I was Business Director (mostly because we didn't have one and I was good at inventory and numbers) for several summer alongside other jobs.  I was Unit director - I was in charge of several other counselors and a unit full of girls every week.  I was the CIT (Counselor in Training) director for two years.  I taught 15-17 year olds how to be counselors in the future - I LOVED that job.  I was the actual Camp Director my last summer there.

That camp had a huge impact on who I am as a person and I still keep in touch with friends I made there 18 years ago! When I moved to Houston, I worked for one summer at a camp on the Gulf.  I don't have friends from there or many fond memories :)

My sister went as a camper twice because I was a counselor there and worked for two summers because she needing experience with children on her resume.  She has good memories from there, but her heart and soul wasn't invested in Camp Tapawingo like I was.

This week they opened the camp up for a night so alumni could see the camp while campers are there. They opened a brand new equestrian center.  My sister and I went with my friend Woodstock to go check it out.  My name was Sunshine at camp :)
Brianna and I on the hayrack

all camp - they now have a stage and seats!!

new horse barn

woody and I at the newly renovated Healthy House


old wash station

o

What is left of the tents in Crooked Tree and Many moons



spirit lodge - the plumbing no longer works so there is a porta potty

big sky

new tents

apparently they don't drink the orange well water anymore!


No comments:

Post a Comment