Friday, July 11, 2014

Heading home

The day after Machu Picchu, we took the train back to Ollantaytambo and then got on the busses to head back to Cusco.

I rested and tried to rearrange all my stuff to get ready to fly the next day.  About half of us were going home the next day, the other half were going to the Amazon.

We left really early to go to the airport and fly to Lima.  We arrived around 9am and many of our flights to the US were late at night so we had a huge layover.  Belinda, Janine, Amy, Philip, and I got rooms at the Ramada across the street from the hotel.  They were doing construction on the 6th floor so they gave use rooms on the 5th floor for half price.  I took a nap,  wrote blog posts, and watched TV.  John, Dawn, Andy, Annie, Suzane and Mark went on a bike ride around Mira Flores.

Our flight from Lima left about 2 hours late and we were bummed because we could have stayed in the hotel longer.  I was supposed have a 5 hour layover in Miami, but we were 2 hours late so I had 2.5 hours to get my luggage and go through immigration.  No problem!!  until it took 2 HOURS and 15 MINUTES for my luggage to come down the shoot.  I missed my flight and went to the counter to rebook my flight and got teary eyed when I asked how on earth I missed my flight when I had 2.5 hours.  She said "security".  I'm thinking drugs - there were dogs everywhere and the bags were coming down 20 or so at a time then nothing for 10 minutes, then 20 more bags etc.  and the flight was coming from Peru.  totally drugs.  :)

I got a flight for 4 hours later so I bought 4 trashy gossip magazines and ate at TGIFridays.  I got on the flight and we were in the air for 10 minutes when the pilot came on and said the landing gear wouldn't retract so we had to go back to Miami to land and get a new plane.  augh!  I felt like I would never get home.  got on a new plane 2 hours later and finally got home at 8pm on Tuesday when I gotten up at 4am on Monday to start my journey - LONG TRIP.  It was so good to see Sally when she came to pick me up!



No comments:

Post a Comment