Saturday, July 5, 2014

Peru day 5

Day 5
The festival was today so there was a lot of activity. Many of us watched the big ceremony from our hotel breakfast room.


Debbie and I walked around and finished our shopping and ate this delicious sandwich. It is a heart attack waiting to happen.  It had egg, cheese, ham, bacon, chicken, and sausage!! More meat than I should eat in a week!


Eric led a hike around less touristy parts of Cusco.  It is interesting what people's perspectives are.  Several people commented about poverty. Honestly, it never registered with me - it was nothing like India. People also warned me often about cars or poop on the street. Again, it was nothing like India and I am always aware of poop and cars!!! We passed a house with a red bag hanging from a stick. That signifies they have chicha - local corn beer. Several people tried it. Others didn't want to risk anything before our trek.


 We also packed for the trek. We could put up to 16 pounds in our porter bag and we could carry what we wanted on our backs. I put my sleeping bag and my clothes in the porter bag and carried this on my back. My trekking poles, sunscreen, bug spray, Vaseline, my medicine, first aid kit, hat, gloves, scarf, poncho, jacket, snacks, wet wipes, tp, a bag to put the used tp in, my headlamp,  and a water bladder with 2 liters in it. I looked like a big purple turtle.




No comments:

Post a Comment