Thursday, July 3, 2014

Inca trail day 1

Inca trail day 1

I woke up vomitting. I took the altitude sickness meds for two days but it made my stomach hurt and my limbs tingle so I didn't take it for three days in Cusco and was fine! I got some coca tea down me and a dry biscuit. I also started the medicine again. Other people were sick too so we weren't sure if it was altitude sickness or food born. We left our suitcases in storage at the hotel then loaded up our two busses.  I was glad others were as nervous as I was about starting the trek.

our packs ready for the porters


We had a two hour bus ride to Ollantaytambo there were many winding, hilly roads so I was trying not to get sick. The town was cute and I got a little llama zipper pull - Senor Llama - he was a good buddy on the trek.


We toured the ruins and used the facilities then had a 45 minute bus ride to kilometer 82 where we were going to start the trail. Our camp cook made our lunch there and I got some noodles down.  We paid the lady a sole each to use the bathroom, packed up our stuff and got in line at the checkpoint.  We showed our permit and passport and got everyone through.





Our group was with Eric's adventures so we had Eric, his wife Myra, coach jenny, and our guides Victor, Cesar, Marco, and Joel.  We cheered and clapped for the porters as they came through. We had 32 people and 40 some porters.  They carry all the food, tables, chairs, cooking fuel, trash, and our packs. They are super fast and they get to camp before us and set up and get dinner started. At breakfast they pack up, pass us, set up lunch etc.  They are absolutely amazing and I was constantly in awe. Ours were anywhere from 20- 70 years old. Debra and I got behind very fast because I was still super nauseated and she had ankle surgery in February and moves slow.  A guide always stays with the last person so we had Cesar to explain things to us and take our picture.



Debbie and I 

Cesar and I 

 He says when your heart goes boom boom stop and rest and drink water.  This part of the trail is "inca flat". Lots of ups and downs but not for long. We walked in the Urubamba valley and near the Cusichaca river. We saw the ruins of Llactapata and camped near there. Our group started later than others so we were alone on the trail and we stayed at a little used site so we had it to ourselves. It took Debra and I less than 3 hours to finish and we got our stuff and put it in the last tent. We had tea time and snacks, then dinner. It was cold and we had several tents put together for one long tent for us to eat together. There was a disgusting toilet to use and horses roaming around so you had to watch for poop.  It was so funny - there was lots of poop on the trail and and people were constantly looking out for it. Trust me. I know how to avoid poop! And there was less on the trail than on the streets of Mumbai! 

No comments:

Post a Comment