Saturday, July 5, 2014

Peru day 3 and 4

There are a million things I could talk about in these blog posts, but trying to keep it short and sweet :) 

Peru day 3

We had a lovely breakfast at the hotel. My headache was gone, but I still drank coca tea. We drove through the Urubamba valley to Pisac. On the way, we stopped at a llama farm and weaving co- op. We saw how they died the yarn with natural items and learned all about the differences between alpacas, llamas, and vicuñas.




We saw the ruins in Pisac, then went into the town to eat empanadas :) and shop at the market. I got a blanket, gloves and a hat with ear flaps.  We all went to dinner together and saw a cultural show while we were eating. I got to eat alpaca which was ok and guinea pig which is always delicious.  :)

Most of the people in my group are runners that did Rim to Rim together so I'm kind of odd man out. Most of them are over fifty and far fitter than I am!!!!  There are a few couples and several women here alone without their husbands.  Many of my friends think it  is odd that I do such grueling, active things as vacation so it is fun to meet people who enjoy it.   I am making friends :)


Day 4

We had a free day today so I went with some of the women to go to the super mercado and the open market. Many people chew coca leaves or eat things with coca in them so help with altitude sickness.  Cocaine is derived from coca leaves so it is illegal in many countries.
I stole this off of facebook - Jenny, Amy and Shari are getting a little excited about the coca products :)
 People were buying coca tea bags to take back to the states and just say " tea" on the customs form.  Lorrie had, coca tea, cookies, candy, and flour. I told her she would be detained and on the no fly list!!  I went with Carol and Lorrie to the big market. they had fruits, vegetable, meat (including whole pig heads!) they also had lots of crafts and it was a fun place.




Inti Raymi is a famous festival for the sun so the streets are really crowded with locals and visitors. There were parades everywhere and it was so crowded it was hard to move!

I went back to the room to wait for my roommate, Debra to get done working so we could go to lunch. We met up with some other women and went to a restaurant called jacks near the square. I had a delicious BEEF burger.  Cathy and I wanted to see the cathedral but it was closed until 4:30. We walked around to all the stores and watched the endless parade. It stared to rain and was really cold so we hopped into a really cute restaurant and sat in an enclosed balcony so we could be warm and watch the parade.



When the cathedral opened, we went in and I soooo wish I was allowed to take pictures. It was so bizarre and there is no way to explain it.  Catholicism in South America is usually mixed with native religions so the Catholic Churches in Ecuador would have statues of the volcano god in there or Jesus in a casket. This church had crazy paintings and sculptures. We thought some of them were pirates!! There was a painting of the last supper with them eating a guinea pig!! We cracked up laughing.  One of the people in our group said they heard a guide say it was a chinchilla but either way, I don't think that is what they ate at the last supper!  There was also a painting a a huge saint carrying a child Jesus on his back and when I say huge, I mean he was using an entire palm tree as a walking stick.  Weird.

We walked back to the hotel and went to our trek briefing. I'm getting nervous about this hike!! This altitude is killer and we are hiking 6 to 10 hours a day.  No showers for four days and sleeping on the ground. Temps are supposed to be around 30 F. Holy moly! I'm going to freeze to death if I don't pass out from the altitude first. 

No comments:

Post a Comment