Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Sister time in Chicago

I actually got to spend three weeks at my sister's house this July.  I signed up to run the Chicago half marathon and asked her if she wanted to join me.

Her Mother in Law kept the girls at her house so Bri could have a kid free weekend with me :)  We took Amtrak to Union Station in Chicago.  I LOVE to travel by train and Brianna hadn't done it before.  We were delayed quite a bit due to work on the tracks (they are trying to make a speedy route through IL)  We stayed at the Hyatt Regency at McCormick place because they were the official hotel of the race.  The packet pickup was there at McCormick place and the hotel provided shuttles to and from the race.

On Saturday, we walked up Michigan Avenue to Grant Park and walked all around that area.


We had dinner at a pizza place near the hotel and went to bed.  The hotel was super comfy and we both enjoyed watching TV.  She doesn't normally get to do it because of the kids, I don't because I don't live in the US. I got up at 4:55 to get ready for the race and Brianna slept in :)

I took the shuttle and got to the start line.  It is so hard for me to run in Mumbai.  There are obstacles and I have no running partners so I don't train like I should.  This race had a 3.5 hour time limit and I figured I would run as far as I could then walk the rest and probably be ok.  I didn't even think about running with a pace group, but the 3 hr pace runners were in my corral so I thought I would stay with them as long as I could.  (I used to run most of my halves in 2:50)  One lady was running 5/1s and one was running 4/1s.  The 4/1s were running faster but shorter and the lady was more fun than the other so I ran with them.  My goal was to stick with her until at least mile 10.  I made it to mile 11 and she kept creeping farther and farther away so I just did the Bobbi Jo shuffle :)  which is technically "jogging" but slower than most people can walk.   I have the mental ability to endure long races and my heart, lungs, legs never get tired.  I can always keep going- but my FEET!!  I cannot explain how bad my feet hurt even when walking 2 miles during a normal day.  Lupus is a disease that affects joints and my feet feel like bone is rubbing on bone - it is awful.  I walked the last miles and finished in 3:06 according to my watch which is a half hour faster than I did Jerusalem in March!  Chicago is a lot flatter!

I went back to the hotel and showered and Bri and I went and hung out at Navy Pier until it was time to take the train back.

No comments:

Post a Comment