Thursday, January 18, 2018

Belize- Caye Caulker

Belize- Caye Caulker 

We left Tulum at 7:30 and drove for a couple of hours to Barcala and had breakfast with an amazing view.



We drove another half hour to the Belize border, went through immigration and customs and then drove another couple hours to the water taxi. 45 minutes in the water taxi and we were finally there! The new van we got in Belize wasn't nearly as nice as the one in Mexico. On one of the driving stints I sat next to Nicole who is also a teacher so we swapped stories.  We all went to dinner and I got some good creole food. Everyone else went out drinking afterwards, but I have a pretty strict 9:30 bedtime. I'm fortunate that my Lupus is in remission, but I still have to take really good care of myself so I don't become incapacitated. I pray that I don't have a major episode while on this trip. 

The next morning, all but two of us went on a 6 hour snorkelling tour. We saw turtles, sharks, stingrays, eagle rays, eels, and tons of fish. We went to 5 different places. I only went twice and on the second one, the water was rough and I felt woozy. They served food on the boat- it was yummy and I thought it might settle my stomach. When the others went in for the 4th snorkelling jump, I puked over the side! I didn't feel too bad once another woman did too! I found out later that the Dramamine I took was "natural" not proper medicine infused Dramamine. I threw it out and got new pills. Forget homeopathic- I need actual drugs!! We were staying at a hotel called China Town and it had a store attached.  It is super easy to buy things here because the speak English and many of the products are American.  I got Cheez It crackers!!

Can you tell who has Lupus and need to keep covered up from the sun as much as possible??  😆

Pedro, me, Marilyn, Nicole, Mia, James, Ryan, Martina, Cameron, Daniel, Tim
We saw this handsome guy. 




The second day in Caye Caulker was a true free day. I went for a walk in the tiny town and had breakfast at this place on the water.




I rested in the afternoon and worked on my Portuguese lessons. They had American tv channels and I watched some Supernatural! About 5 of us went out that night for fish and chips. Caye caulker is a nice, laid back place and most of us enjoyed it there.






No comments:

Post a Comment