Friday, January 19, 2018

Guatemala - Rio Dulce

Guatemala - Rio Dulce

We got up and had breakfast at the restaurant because we didn't know what we'd find open on Christmas Day. It was a 4.5 hour drive to Rio Dulce. I never thought of Guatemala as a tourist place - except for Tikal, but Guatemala has gorgeous scenery. The van we have for Guatemala is nicer than some of the others we've had. Jesse and I sat together in the front with James and Ryan behind us. Jesse let me borrow some earbuds because I didn't put mine in my camping bag so I listened to Christmas music a good part of the way - trying to remind myself it is Christmas because it didn't feel like it!


We are in a jungle lodge here with mosquito netting over our beds.






 I took a nap and then walked into town through the jungle with Sage. Taking a boat is much faster but the walk peaceful. We came to a locked gate and had to climb a fence- we felt like rebels. Town was pretty quiet because it was Christmas Day and things were closing so I just got some fruit for dinner. We met everyone at the lodge for secret Santa- mine got me a Belize bracelet and a keychain.  It's nice that we all get along :) and were able to spend the evening together. 

They charged by the load for laundry so Daniel and I put ours together and it was sooooo good to get some clean smelling clothes back!





In the morning 8 of us went on a river ride to Livingston where the Atlantic Ocean meets the river. It was a dreary day, but we made it through relatively dry. We made a stop to see an old Spanish castle -Castillo de San Felipe. There is a history of pirates there which had Martina looking for them.







Pedro, Jesse, Mia, Tim, Dan, Adrian, Nicole, Martina and me

Daniel, me, Jesse, Martina, Nicole, Tim, Mia, Pedro


We went to Livingston and also stopped at some hot springs and had lunch. It was quite chilly on the boat when we were going fast. The rest of the day was nice because it was very overcast so the sun wasn't beating down on us for once!









Boat Ride Pedro, Adrian, Mia, Tim, Jesse, Martina, Me, Nicole, Daniel


Lunch! Adrian, Pedro, Mia, Daniel, Martina, Jesse, me, Nicole, Tim


In the evening Dan, Martina, and I walked into town and saw this Christmas tree made of plastic bottles.  Throughout the trip, I took pictures of all the Christmas trees and nativity scenes I saw along the way to document the different versions.  We saw this decorated boat while waiting for our boat back to the lodge.

Christmas tree made of plastic bottles


No comments:

Post a Comment