Friday, January 19, 2018

Guatemala- Tikal

Guatemala- Tikal

We left the awesome Midas hotel and headed for the Guatemalan border- the agent made a comment on how full my passport is  😀 and just got it in 2013. 

It's Christmas Eve day and we spent it at Tikal- one of the great archeological sites of the world. It was pretty empty which gave us lots of room to explore. Our guide, Juan was really knowledgeable and there were several of us that tried to soak up everything he was saying.










very cool vines


We watched a great sunset from one of the pyramids.   Lots of people were up there watching it, but we were quiet and it was I thought about how fortunate I am that God has let me live another day and that I am spending Christmas Eve in a place I have always wanted to visit - I am blessed!

The following three pictures were taken by Martina.  Martina, Daniel, and James were awesome buddies during the trip and I am fortunate that we got to experience a lot of things together. 
Martina and Daniel - Martina's pic

James and Martina - Martina's pic

All of us watching the sunset over Tikal - pic by Martina




We had dinner at a restaurant near our campsite and we camped for Christmas Eve. We had bought snacks and alcohol earlier so the others drank while I turned in. We each had our own tent and there were three tents under each thatched roof. Martina, Nicole and I were grouped together. The alcohol cooler and water dispenser were stored at our tents so it was a busy place.

I told people I was an excellent eaves dropper because I have to be aware of all conversations happening in my classroom all day. I was in the tent and people forgot I was there when they came over to get more alcohol and start up conversations. Or tents were completely see through mesh so sometimes they would say "is someone in there?" And some one would say "Bobbi no - she's gathering info!" I could hear the other groups that were camping and some useful travel info from them. We could see a lot of stars that night and it was a good temperature and it was cool to be doing something special on Christmas Eve. Not as cool as when I was in Bethlehem, but still cool. 

The tents were fine- the bathrooms were a problem. No lights, no warm water, barely a trickle of water out of the sinks....




The howler monkeys woke us up at 4 am! We had seen spiders and other creepy crawlies the night before. Martina has a lot of things she is afraid of spiders, snakes, scorpions, crocodiles, flesh eating bacteria, Pirates. It's pretty entertaining, but we wonder how she travels by herself all the time. At least we know we are safe around her!  We found a huge scorpion under Nicole's tent when we were packing up- good thing we didn't know about it before we went to bed!

The evening was cool enough that we could sleep ok and the morning was beautiful and warm and a perfect Christmas day!

No comments:

Post a Comment