Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Guatemala- Antigua New Years Eve

Guatemala - Antigua New Year's Eve

We had left our big bags at the hotel in Antigua and just brought a small bag for the two nights we were in Panajachel and San Jorge la Laguna.  Then we came back to Antigua for two nights. 

We left at 6 to hike up volcano Pacaya - we started hiking up it later than everyone else because of some payment discrepancy so I felt like I was racing. The altitude was high, the climb steep, and the ground rocky which made it difficult and my lungs struggled. After making it about 1/3 of the way to the main part, I got on a horse. I just couldn't keep up. Sometimes I feel guiltyif my "disability" keeps me from doing things but I decided to suck up my pride and just take the horse and I was grateful that I did. At the main part I got off and hiked up to the view point with Ryan and James. So steep! But great views. We went down a different way and basically shuffled down like skiing through the thick ash and rock. So much fun!!






lava ash

me on Princess
Martina roasting marshmallows on the volcano.  We were supposed to, but didn't get to. 


Today is the end of the first leg of my trip so 5 people are leaving- Pedro, Mia, Cameron, Nicole and Jesse. I'm really going to miss Nicole! I will think of her every time I have peanut m&ms. We having 8 people joining up, they seem great! Our new guide, Mario is sooo different than Adrian- very hyper and gives almost too much info.

Adrian did not seem like a typical tour guide. He didn't give much info and sometimes seemed annoyed if you asked a question. He didn't give us any info on the countries or cities we were in. We never saw him unless we were on the van.  People were a little grumpy about his style of guiding - or not guiding as it were. 

Daniel arranged for us to eat New Year's Eve dinner at a middle eastern kind of restaurant. I had some amazing pasta! It was nice to have a family meal together on our last night together.
Nicole, Jesse, Adrian, Cameron, Daniel, me, Martina, Ryan, Marilyn

Martina and I 


Everyone laughs about my strict 9:30 bedtime and the fact that I was not going to join them at midnight for fireworks  We were still at the restaurant at 10:30 and my hands started tremors and I was going downhill fast. My lupus body spends so much energy functioning all day it falls apart at night- especially if I hiked a volcano that day!! I knew I'd start stuttering soon and my ability to walk would decrease which would be doubly hard on the cobblestone streets. Daniel walked me home and then went back to finish his dinner. I heard all the fire crackers even though I didn't see them. Welcome 2018!  I am so glad that I get to begin the year on such a great adventure. 

I'm allergic to Indian food and was sick a lot when I lived there. I woke up at 3am with that same feeling and was horribly sick. I'm pretty sure it was the pita bread. I took two bites and it tasted like Indian spices. Two bites were enough- I was really sick. Unfortunately on New Year's Day we had a long ride on the bus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment