Saturday, January 27, 2018

Nicaragua- Leon

Nicaragua - Leon
We left at 5 am for an hour long van ride to immigration out of El Salvador. We got on a very small boat that we had to cover everything in practice to keep from getting wet.  It was a two hour boat ride - not fun!!  And it looked like we had been smuggled across the border.  I know there are people who risk their lives in boats in much worse condition that this one to get to another country - my breaks know that there are people who feel that is their only option for survival.

We spent a lot of time in this tiny boat to enter Nicaragua


We went to Nicaragua immigration - we were there about an hour. This was by far the most complicated border crossing we have had. We actually had to fill out papers and they looked at them.  We have basically been able to waltz into the other countries- some without even getting out of the van!

We rode in the van another 1.5 hours. Because I was helping with passport info I didn't put my backpack in my front seat so the only seat available was in the very back with Daniel - he was nice and let me lay down.  During the first leg of the trip, Adrian would take us to local restaurants where we would all eat together. Mario takes us to malls, food courts, and grocery stores. We stopped at the mall to eat at the food court.  The employees were rude, not helpful, rolling their eyes etc.  We rode another hour or so and arrived in Leon. I took a nap and went out for about 20 min to get more meds (this cough/cold we are all passing around is wicked) and was called a bitch twice! I was also hissed at, snapped at, and whistled at. So far Nicaragua is not as nice as the other countries.

We stayed at the hotel San Juan de Leon - it had great wifi!! Which is hard to find here and makes us happy!

The next morning I went to the cathedral and went on the roof with Melanie and Michelle-  amazing views.









 The view from the top of the church.


The plaza around the church.


Other things around town.





We left at two and drove about three hours to Granada. I went with Ryan, Sage, and Daniel to eat at Pita Pita and had shawarma- yum! It was the most expensive meal so far, but so worth it!  We normally eat pretty late, but tonight we had an early start.  It took a long time for our food to arrive and Ryan looked at his watch and said "Oh, we have quite a bit of time before Bobbi Jo turns into a pumpkin"  I am fortunate that my travel buddies understand my early bed habits and not only do not make fun of me, but actually try to accommodate me.  I actually got to eat a nice meal with friends and make my bedtime :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment