Sunday, January 21, 2018

Guatemala- Antigua, Chichicastenango

Guatemala - Antigua- chichicastenango- San Jorge la Laguna

We left the jungle lodge at 4:30 am on a boat, then our van for the 8 hour drive to Antigua. The Guatemalan country side is gorgeous. Emilio (our driver) put our luggage on the roof so we each got our own seat. I always sit in the front right behind the driver and James and Ryan sit right behind me. Ryan sits on the aisle and puts his feet on the ledge beside me and James sits by the window and puts his feet through the bottom of the seat so sometimes his toes are digging into my butt. I sit in the front because I get car sick but also so I can help "control" the traffic. Driving here isn't as scary as Peru or Ecuador, but the roads are narrow and not in the best condition so people are often on the wrong side of the road to pass etc. I can will cars out of the way and like to tell my bus mates how many accidents I prevented!! Ha! There were a couple of times when James helped because we were the two with the best view of the road. We felt pretty proud when we "saved" the van from an accident. We spend many many hours in the van. We have to entertain ourselves somehow.


Antigua is beautiful with lots of great architecture. We went to the grocery store to get gifts for the the families that we are staying with in our home stays.









rubble from the earthquake





volcano in the background

chicken busses

In the morning we drove about 3 hours to Chichicastenango where they have a huge market every Thursday and Friday. We got a few hours to explore the market and the cemetery and have lunch. The cemetery was beautiful and very colourful. The bodies are buried (mostly) underground and the houses are built on top for the spirit to live.



Such beautiful colours and fabrics - reminds me of India










They do some ritual 

view of the town


Here is the Christmas tree I saw in the market.  I love it!




No comments:

Post a Comment