Friday, August 12, 2011

Day two of school


So today was the 3rd day I got up between 5:00 and 5:15 to run/walk before work.  I love the semi stillness and watching Mumbai wake up.  Preyanka came with me today and it rained on us :(

I LOVE my block E 8th graders.  They are awesome.  Terrible at math :(  but they seem like they are willing to try.  I told them I would teach them math and they could help me with technology.  I tried to have them turn in their work on Dyknow today and well... yeah... that didn't work out so well!  but they have used Dyknow before and they are gonna get me up to speed!  My H block 8th graders weren't as awesome.  Pretty goofy but it was the last block of the day.  One thing this school does is rotate the schedule.  so on day one I see ABCD, on day three I see BCDA, on day 5 I see CDAB and day 7 I see DABC and the even days do the same thing for EFGH.  So basically they are on an 8 day cycle.  They only thing that is constant is that we see advisory every day after the 2nd block of the day then we eat lunch.  So I won't always have the same kids at the end of the day or at the beginning when they are sleepy!!  awesome!!!

I gave a quiz to the 8th graders just to see where they are.  They were really nervous but I don't them it wasn't for a grade I just wanted to see where to start teaching them.  Yeah... I'll be starting with order of operations with exponents.  They were worse at integers than my 6th graders!!!!!!

My 6th graders are just goofy.  Two of them had to fill out insurance papers on their egg!! ha!!!  It was one of my kid's birthday today and he brought chocolate cupcakes.  in middle school!  loving this advisory thing.  He is from Hershey Pennsylvania - his dad works for Hershey and that's why they are here.  so. yea.  he's. my . favorite. kid.  :)   It rained crazy hard during one of my classes and the boys wanted to see so we took a little break so they could go in the hall (it is an open hall with no walls) and they were like "the cafeteria is getting wet"  sharp ones these 6th graders :)  I said not to worry, they'd have it mopped up before we ate and if it was pouring while we ate, we'd just get wet.  no biggie :)

One of my kids is the son of a new teacher here so he flew with me on the plane to Mumbai and we had meals together during new teacher week etc.  I had all important papers in my "folder of life"  and guarded it carefully on the way here.  They all got organizers in advisory (daily planners)  and he already had papers vomitting out of it!  He looked at me and said "This is MY folder of life!"  ha!! ha!!

We have a three day weekend this week so the kids were all telling me about their plans.  I am meeting people for dinner tonight, going to brunch at a teacher's house tomorrow, and going to Sanjay Ghandi park on Sunday hopefully.  fun weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like your transition is slowly gliding to a soft landing, have a great weekend.
    P.S. Math was so long ago I don't even know what an integer is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That schedule rotation sounds AWESOME! There are a few kids every year that I think need the opposite schedule (am/pm) of what they have. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete