Sunday, August 21, 2011

Eventful Sunday

I woke up around 7 and got to skype with my friend in NYC.  then I went for a run.  There was some kind of organized kids race on my road so I got to cheer on some runners - one set of girls told me it was a mile race, but I don't know.  Most were running barefoot.  ow. 

I met Amy and Laranie at this church we were told about.  It was awesome!  Really good worship and nice people.  The pastor seemed great.  There was a guest pastor this week and he was good.  I really enjoyed it.

I did some school work and took a nap.  Then I decided to go for a walk.  I am making it my mission to know these roads in my area so I know where I am all the time.  Maybe it is all my crisis training.  Most of you know that I was part of a CERT team back home - part of Homeland Defense where we are trained to help in emercencies and rescue people in the event of a disaster etc.  We work with first responders - secure the area, do search and rescue and administer first aid until EMTS get there.  or in a big disaster, they might never get there.  We label people minor, critical and dead and toe tag them so that EMTS don't waste their time on people they can't save.  I'm trained in Incident Command and was the point person for my area.  Anyway I am one of those people that always knows where the exit row is in a plane, or the stairway in a hotel.  Today my obsession with knowing the streets paid off!  I wandered into a huge government protest.  Thousands of people were marching.  Police were there and it was peaceful, but loud!  I was trying to cross this huge intersection which was impossible.  I saw some guys looking nervous and went to talk to them.  They asked if I was a tourist or if I lived here.  They are from Singapore and are here for an internship and have been here two weeks.  They are a little overwhelmed with Mumbai.  It is WAY dirtier and crazier than Singapore!  I helped point them to where they needed to go, then I started walking the same way as the protesters.  I couldn't get through them to go the way I know how to go home so I just had to wing it.  I dodged through the protestors and went on some back roads home and managed to come across a place I walked by just yesterday!!  so all my exploring paid off.  I got home safely and am on my way to a friend's house for dinner.

1 comment:

  1. Bobbi Jo, people from Singapore accepted directional advice from you...Miss Whitey!? They were in sad shape, but awesome that your getting to know the neighborhood enough you helped others:)

    ReplyDelete