Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Weirdest Experience so far!!!!


So I was walking and came across St. Andrews church and decided to stop in to see if I could get a mass schedule and figured I could go there until I found another church.  People were walking in and out of it because a mass was going on.  Apparently you don’t have to show up and the beginning and stay the whole time J  I sat in the back and listened for awhile.  I saw papers on the sides and thought it might be a bulletin with info.  It was more of a newsletter.  This Indian lady saw me looking around and told me to meet her outside.  She said she’d been at the church for 15 years and I thought she would tell me about what it does etc…

What happened next was one of the weirdest conversations I’ve ever had!  I asked what kind of work she did.  She said her husband in Canada sends her money every three months.  They’ve been married 11 years but they live in different countries. ????  She kept asking me how long my flight from Canada was even though I repeated told her I was from the states.  She said she was going to Canada in few weeks for the first time. ???  but she’s been married for 11 years?  She talked about money a lot.  Saying she starves a lot.  Then saying she has lots of money.  She kept mentioning Dubai and I asked why she goes to Dubai so much if it isn’t for her work – she said “for the gold”  huh??  Randomly she said she doesn’t like black people because they are fat and black people should be thin?!?!?!?   She said Indian’s speak hi class English and she didn’t like certain people/countries because their English was “low brow”.  She said she didn’t like being on a plane because of the AC – too stifling… and I quote “there is no fresh air on a plane – I’m use to all the fresh air in Mumbai”  S E R I O U S L Y?????????  I don’t think I’ve taken one good breath of air.  I smell exhaust on me all the time. 

She was a very nice lady.  Talked to me about the area – not sure how much was true.  Even though she says she starves a lot, she didn’t ask for money (which is where I thought the conversation would go when she sat next to me), she looked in much better shape than a lot of beggars I see.   She didn’t seem like she was on drugs or mentally ill and I am usually good about spotting those things.  Anyway it was one of the most weird encounters I’ve had so far.  The church was quaint and the area outside it looked like a grave yard – it was totally flat cement with rectangles that had people’s names like a grave stone, but different. 


Maybe I’ll check it out on a day that I can talk to someone a little more…. Sane. J

3 comments:

  1. I had a boy in my class 2 years ago who was from the Ukraine. His parents had been married for 9 years, but the year he was in my class was the first year his mom and dad lived together since getting married. His dad was a truck driver in the US and his mom stayed home in the Ukraine with their 3 KIDS!!! The dad went to visit once or twice a year (hence the kids) and sent money back home to the Ukraine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my resident friends is married and has 2 kids. His wife lives in Mumbai with them, he hasn't seen his wife or his 2 children for over 4 years. Absence makes the heart grow stronger I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WEIRD! Don't drink what she's drinking! ha

    ReplyDelete