Thursday, August 4, 2011

Meeting returning teachers

So yesterday we graduated from new teacher status and today ALL the staff came back.   Some people didn't get here until this morning!  Including Will.  Will is Pauline's significant other and he lost his passport the day they were flying to Newark.  he flew with her hoping they would find his passport in the suitcases during their long layover. No such luck - he had to fly back to Green Bay and has spent the last week trying to get a new passport and visa! 
They had a wonderful welcoming ceremony for the new teachers.  They had us all go to the front of the room and put red marks on us "tikka" and lay the garlands on us.  very cool.


        We moved around at the tables a lot so we got to meet many of the returning staff.  It is hard to remember names!  I cannot believe the sheer number of staff.  Way more than my last school and it had twice as many kids!      

We got to spend some time in our classrooms today.
that white board unfolds so you can write more
    Two other teachers use my room during the day so I will have arrange my room to give them shelf space. I went to the supply cabinets just to see what was up there. I was in there three seconds and had barely touched a cabinet door when a man appeared asking what I needed.  He pointed me where to go and told me basic supplies would be in my room.  It never occured to me to OPEN my desk drawer.  Oh my gosh - pushpins, staples, tape etc.  ALREADY there.  I was worried my classroom will be blank when the kids come because my shipment isn't here. never fear I found math posters rolled up on a shelf.  It's like there are magic genies.    
                                                                       I am having trouble getting pictures exactly where I want them but
                                                                       I have work I need to do tonight so I don't want to take forever

my hallway

              on this for forgive if it isn't beautiful. I took the hallway pic standing in my doorway.  The halls are open air and on the right side you can see the cafeteria below.


the cafeteria below my room

For those of you concerned about medical care - this hospital is down the street from my apartment.  The school also has an arrangement with another hospital - we have all filled out information sheet for them already and they know we are ASB personel so we can get through the process better.
                                                                                                                                                
                                                                                                                                                                         
I felt like I was getting better with the cars but I was trying to meet a friend for dinner last night and had to cross a horrible intersection.  there is really no way to describe it.  at night I fear the drivers can't see me in the dark.  the rickshaws make me a little nervous so a few of us said we wanted our first time to be with a buddy, but I needed to take one last night so I went solo!  He said he knew where I lived but turned down this street and asked if that was right.  I told him to drop me off there ( it was church where I met the crazy lady ) and I could walk from there. 

My made cooked indian food tonight and it was good!






3 comments:

  1. Your maid cooks AND cleans!!?? Screw it! I'm moving in!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEA for pictures!!! what an awesome school- I bet you are pumped to start teaching :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your new nickname is "Queen." You have people at work who anticipate your every need, a maid who cooks and cleans and you work in a palace.
    P.S. I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete