Sunday, August 14, 2011

The Ugly Monster Awakens

So I had a really awesome day yesterday and was looking forward to a really fun time going to Sanjay Ghani National Park today.  The park is the only NP that is completely surrounded by a city.  There are caves, monkeys, lions etc.  I went for a walk this morning and felt great.  I was so excited when I got to the park.  It was GREEN!!  and beautiful!!
We went on this caged bus to drive through an area where they have lions.


Bus window



Then the Monster appeared.  I started to not feel too well then my hands started spasming and my chest hurt.  Lupus. This is usually the first sign of it causing problems.  I don't know why.  I fell yesterday - maybe that startled my nervous system!  I have been really busy, but I feel like I get enough rest.  My routines get messed up so sometimes I forget my meds - but the meds I'm on now doesn't help with this part too much.  For a split second, I felt fear rise up because whenever symptoms appear my mind goes back to those two years where I was so sick and couldn't do hardly anything.  Here I was doing one of my favorite things - walking in the beautiful outdoors (an opportunity that doesn't come offen here :) and I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to do it.  But lovely Amy came over to open a bottle of water for me and help me eat half a sandwhich.  I don't like to be a burden and I felt bad because I've only know these people about a month so it was a little embarrassing to ask them to open my water for me, take a picture for me, or slow down (when I am usually super hiker!)  but you know what?  A little hurt pride never killed anyone.  So I did my best - I walked all the places I wanted to.  and I got to see some cool things.



Faint mumbai skyling surrounding the park.



My hands and my legs hurt quite a bit, but the chest pain eased up and I didn't fall!!  There are people with way worse problems than some pain and uncooperative hands!  I'm pretty fortunate!

On our way to the Jain temple in the park, there was a traffic jam. It was hot in the car so some of us walked and had the car pick us up a little down the road.
Sarah doesn't seem too happy about the traffic jam.
Our last stop in the park was a Jain temple.


Greg (a high school math teacher) and his wife were at the park too and we ran into them and they said we should try the train back.  What an experience!  I couldn't take many pictures because it was so crowded.  Four of us took a cab to the park and paid about 400 rupees.  The four of us took the train back and paid 24 rupees for ALL of us. That's about 55cents maybe.  All of us women rod in the ladies only cars where it is less crowded and there is less staring :)




When we got back some of us went with Greg to eat some Indian food and by then my hands were doing pretty good and I actually got to eat with a fork!! I don't think my new friends are ready to see me eat with my face!  ha!  don't want to scare them!! 

Hands are doing ok now - legs still hurt pretty badly and spasm some but I thinkthat is because I've been sitting here typing!  I'll go walk around a little, get a good nights rest and be good as new tomorrow.  This week's goals are to balance work, rest, and excercise so that I am able to do all the things I want to do!  I have a great job and good friends and lots of things to see and do here - life could not be better!!


1 comment: