Monday, August 8, 2011

Gateway to India and Elephanta Island

On Sunday I waited around for the shipping company to come by to pick up my documents – my stuff should be here by Saturday! 

I walked over to Zach and Nancy’s (and didn’t get lost!) and we took a cab (it didn’t really happen that quickly but he finally arrived) to the Gateway to India to meet the Thextons.  We walked around the gateway and in the Taj hotel (beautiful) then boarded a boat to Elephanta Island.  The area around the Gateway is full of hawkers trying to get you to buy touristy stuff.
Gateway to India
taj mahal palace hotel









 The boat ride was 130 rupees.  The ride over took about an hour.  There are 1500 people who live on the island. A guy named Krishna who was born there latched onto me and wanted to give us a tour.  For 400 rupees he would explain all the caves to us “protect” us from the monkeys and tell us the ends and outs of what goes on on the Island. Zach told him he’d give him extra if we saw a cobra.  Ha!  We didn’t.   I ended up giving him 500 and we bought him a beer.  He did a great job.



 The caves have all these great carvings and sculptures of Hindi gods.  A lot of them are missing limbs etc because the Portuguese used them for target practice trying to rid the area of Hindus.  Nancy is Portuguese so we teased her a lot J The island is peaceful and quiet compared to Mumbai standards.  Krishna says there is a Hindi festival in February where they sacrifice goats and have a big celebration.  It is open to the public.  I am there!

monkey with b






The boat ride back was a lot less pleasant – the water was choppy and lots of it was splashing on the boat.  We tried to keep our mouths closed.  They pulled our boat up to another boat and we had to get off with them bouncing all over etc.  there was an older woman and she was obviously not super limber and able to jump out of the boat.  The guy kept trying to drag her but her children hung onto her – they were scared for her safety.  The boat man got really upset!!!  Got in our boat and was ylling at the daughter right in her face!!  I’m not sure what their hurry was and why they couldn’t wait a few extra seconds per person til the boats were aligned better.  Tully and Rick got off and the boats were really even and I went right after but the second I stepped out boat dipped and I was straddling both and then was squatting so low I couldn’t get up.  Three men grabbed my arm to pull me up – surprised I don’t have bruises.  The cab ride home was interesting too.  This the fasted I’ve ever seen a cab go!!  He was speeding in and out of lanes, ignoring signals and honking like crazy.  (which they all do, they just don’t go very fast)  nancy and I couldn’t look!  They guy just said “this is India!  This is how we drive!!”



I got home alive and worked with Bryan on some math stuff and went to bed.  Very fun trip for my first official weekend here!  I am putting more of the pics up on facebook. 

The India food is catching up to me and I am a chunky monkey!  Do they have weightwatchers here in Mumbai?!?!?!

3 comments:

  1. What a cool excursion :) You will have to tell us the Rupee exchange- is 400 expensive or cheap?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like so much fun! Totally wish we could be there with you! Melissa's new favorite animal is a monkey, so she wouldn't need protection; she would need a pesonal tour! Glad you're having fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is something lost in translation? Elephenta island sure seems like there should have been pachyderms. Let me know when you got to Monkey island and ride an elephant. Great 1st excursion!

    ReplyDelete