Saturday, August 13, 2011

Super fantastic Saturday Morning


What a great Saturday!

I got up and walked to the Sea – it is very dreary, gray and rainy today.
Jane Hoover (a 5th grade teacher) invited me to her apartment for brunch.  She had invited maybe a dozen women from the school and from her church.  One was the pastor’s wife – she is from the Northeast part of India, but married a Mumbai man.  They have two kids and she was really sweet.  Their church only has an 11am service on Sundays which is kind of rough because my friends plan a lot of things on Sundays and I want to be able to go so an 8 or 9 am service would be better J  She said the attendance is very different from week to week because so many people are expats and travel on the weekends.  There is a women’s group on Wednesdays so I can go to that and go to church when I am around on Sundays.  Two women work for the American consulate and two worked for IJM – I think it was international Justice something.  They help women involved in human trafficking.  One was a social work that counseled them.  One worked with them making jewelry so they can support themselves.

Jane made quiche and had a waffle maker!!  I had waffles with mango puree and maple syrup this morning!!!  Her apartment was super cute.  It was really good to meet some women from other walks of life besides ASB.  A lot of them went to her church and it seems like a place I will fit in.  I’m excited about trying it!  There is another woman at my school that has a Bible study on Fridays at her house so I’ve got some opportunities to meet with small groups.

After leaving Jane’s I went to a grocery store and ran into two ASB men.  I don’t run into people I know at the stores in Houston!!  This feels like home!  The store didn't have everythign I wanted - only soy milk which I can't drink due to my Lupus so I am going to have to go to another store later.
Now I am working on school stuff.  Translating everything in french for my 6th graders takes time!  I am being observed Tuesday - only my 2nd time with these kids!!  I don't really understand it -apparently they have permanent subs at the school and they come to observe classes so they know how things are done at ASB etc.  I've taught here 2 days!!!  not sure I know how things are done here :)   We have to show them how to save files on their computers, but they don't have their computers yet - they have EGGS!!  So I have to walk the whole class to the office to get their computers, do our work then go put them back.  ah. 6th graders.
I had the kids write letters to me and some of them are pretty funny.  I'll post some of the better things later :)

No comments:

Post a Comment